sound forge

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
adrian

Post by adrian » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:51 pm

i'm using sonar 2.2 with some success, but i have been given sound forge 6, and was wondering if it's worth installing it.

what does sound forge 6 do that sonar doesn't do?

maybe i should use it for mastering? are the effects superior?

should my sound forge replace my sonar?

any thoughts?

kentothink

Post by kentothink » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:53 pm

Sound Forge is pretty much just a wave file editor. its not really a multitrack recording program like sonar. it DOES have some cool fx in it though that will go over to cakewalk and be usable in there.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:13 pm

I use SoundForge often. It does many things that Sonar will not do.

The batch converter is great if you like to make your own samples. I sometimes save money by purchasing .wav format discs instead of akai or giga. Then I edit (in SOund Forge) and normalize everything.

I have my system set up so that I can have SF and Sonar open. When I mix down to two-track I run from Sonar through my board then to SF via SPDF. This gives me more flexability - Think of SF as a dat or two track recorder.

After it's recorded there I do my final mastering in SF. I find it very nice to use in a two-track enviroment compared to Cakewalk.

Few points to note
- make sure you 'share your audio drivers' in Sonar
- in soundforge you have to 'add your favorite' dx plugs to get them to show up. Also Pantheon is NOT avail outside Sonar.

I can answer any other SF questions you come across as my old job required me to work on it for about 4-8 hours a day!

Good Luck!

alexkovalev

Post by alexkovalev » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:51 am

Would you please tell me how I can add SoundForge as an external editor to Sonar 5 Producer. In Tools Menue I have SF 6, but I would like to switch to SF 8 which is already installed.
Could not find this information anywhere.
Thank you
Alex