Tascam Firewire 1884 Question

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
Axeman

Post by Axeman » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:53 pm

I am preparing to purchase this incredible looking FW1884 controller. However, I have heard much good AND bad about it and wanted to know if anyone here has experience with it. Most of what I have heard is in refrence to the drivers for it. It looks like exactly what I am looking for....but only if it works.
Anyone have a direct hands on experience they would like to share? Thanks! :P

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:51 am

I looked at one of these and decided against it after I actaully saw the unit at GC. Looked kinda cheesy.

Good Points:
built in midi interface
firewire connection (no cards needed)
automated
compat with sonar

bad points
cheap construction
driver problems
automated faders are not precice
expensive expansion

Axeman

Post by Axeman » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:07 am

Well, I am not sure I agree with the cheap construction assesment. Looked and felt pretty solid to me, but I was more concerned with the drivers and overall performance. The faders are "fairly" precise, but I could forgive a bit fader slack IF the unit can do what it claims. If in fact it is simply a driver issue, that can be resolved over time. But I have gravitated to this unit BECAUSE of it's price for what it can do. Considering that I was considering a Mackie control ($1000) and an Aardvark Q-10($6-700) The Tascam comes out saving me money and offering a level of control with fewer wires than the MAckie/Q-10 setup.

As for the expansion, well, that isn't all that bad consider with two expanders you have a fully programmable 24 track recording unit interface for your PC for under $3500 AND it is already compatible with Sonar???? I dunno, but it would seem like a good package to me provided it runs stable. I just dont wanna pull it out the box after forking over that kinda cash and be mired in bullsh*t trying to make it work.

But it looks good from what I have seen.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:38 pm

Axeman, it's all about what you need. For me I thought the feel of the unit was 'four track like' for 1k I like a better feel.

There are some good points about the unit as well. If you're sold on it, I'm not going to change your mind. I researched the unit as I thought about purchasing one but decided against it. I went with a Ramsa DA7 and MOTU 2408 - cost a small bit more - does a ton more.

The pres in the Tascam are ok, it only handles 10 channels of audio and the automated faders are jerky and loud. The plastic construction (to me) doesn't look that sturday.

On the other hand - the shortcuts are handy and the unit is laid out nice.

For the $3500 you mention, I would pobably go with a DM-24 with the new firewire card - much less and far more powerfull (built in effects, more mic pres, flexible routing, etc...)

It's all about what unit suits your needs. I found the fw to be impressive at first glance, but fell short when I looked at it in detail.

F@KKER

Post by F@KKER » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:07 am

dude, I just bought one mesef and have yet to experience the joy of using it. IT DOESN'T WORK. I have talked to some owners who say that it works just fine and others like myself, who can't get it up and running. I have tried everything, the updated Tascam drivers, Sonars updates blah blah...EVERYTHING!

So at this stage I'd say it's a beta version and I'm a guinnie pig. So, if ya want a good deal on a "like new one", lemme know, hehe.

F@KKER

F@KKER

Post by F@KKER » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:49 am

...the 1884 works now, I had to do a complete reinstall of the drivers and a little tweaking, awesome hardware guyz, simply awesome...

F@KKER

Muzical_Love

Post by Muzical_Love » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:47 pm

I ahev been trying for three weeks to get it to work and the drivers keep messing up everything. I have the most current and it faults at every step. I get dropouts during record and playback and no buffer/latency settings, or cahce enableing has helped. Anybody else with this problem learn how to fix it yet?

F@KKER

Post by F@KKER » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:47 pm

dude, I will try to give you the steps I took in sequence.

First, upon the original driver install off the CD, I messed up. The drivers set up in 2 "steps", the hardware wizard will install 2 drivers, one for the FW184 and one for the FE-8. Let it do it's thing, twice then restart.

Go to: http://www.tascam.com/software_download ... roduct=269 and get the latest drivers, the latest version last time I was there was v1.10b, the second from the bottom. In fact, grab all the related drivers and manuals and burn them to cd for future use ;) .

Note that it is recommended to do a "clean uninstall" if you are having problems, as you are. Follow the "win_clean_uninstall_e.pdf" step by step.

Now, install the v1.10b drivers, "fw1884_win_install_1_10b_qfe.exe", this includes installing a Hotfix blah blah, or a popup will state that it is already installed, good, move on. Restart when prompted.

One of those files you downloaded is, "firmware updater v145.49", connect your 1884 to your computer's firewire slot, turn it on and run the updater. Now both the fw1884 hardware and your puter are set.

Next, install the "fw1884_sonar_installer_1_10.exe", now the Sonar software is also ready.

NB: READ the "fw1884_sonar_note_1_00.pdf" to configure Sonar properly. I left the FW1884 setting to the default "native" settings, all I changed was the resolution to 96khz. Note that any time you change a setting in the FW1884 control panel, you must restart Sonar for the changes to take effect.

As the Sonar pdf states, select the FW1884 control surface in the contol surfaces menu, select all the inputs and outputs in the midi devices menu, and under tools, check that the fw1884 is there. You are now good to go.

If the 1884 and Sonar "lose" communication, try either opening and closing the select midi devices menu, or just sestart Sonar AND the FW1884. This works for me.

Hope it helped :)

F@KKER

eonuniue

Post by eonuniue » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:57 pm

I dissagree with the cheap construction. the piece is metal surface with protection layer, the potentiometers are two ply mounted, buttons are centered drop post to prevent any jamming or breaking my faders repond fine and are extremly accurate with sonar. but the drivers blow ass!!!!!!!!
any one got any good suggestions on how to fix the record latency :) :shock:[/url]