OS for SONAR

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:41 am

rick_james wrote: Why go to xp when there are no advantages for your system. It just looks a bit more pretty, While it sucks up your power that could be an extra realtime effects on a tracks or dxi/vsti synths running.
I agree completely, thats why I only use 2000 for Audio production. I use XP for everything else, although I seriously doubt it would noticably affect my overall performance THAT much if I did use XP for Audio considering the power of my rig. I can trim a 2000 install down to as few as 13 processes BEFORE starting Sonar and any other music software. XP is a little fatter than that, say 15-18 with all the visual effects turned off, but doubt I'd notice much difference in 98% of the recording work I do. I suppose it's as much a personal preference as anything. I've never really had a stability issue with XP, I am just more familiar with and more confident in 2000's stability and reliability.

Axeman

Post by Axeman » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:42 am

Previous post was me....I forgot to log in =) DUH! :shock:

bluesmiester

Post by bluesmiester » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:25 pm

I run Sonar 3.1.1 on a P4 2.4 gig / 512 meg system.
I would like to get a bit more out of sonar. Can you guys give me some tweaks to apply and/or processes that I can live without.
I am decent musician/composer but not very educated on OS's

bluesmiester

Post by bluesmiester » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:26 pm

Sorry I forgot to say I run XP Pro as my OS.

Axeman

Post by Axeman » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:58 pm

Well, do this.... hit Ctrl/Alt/Delete and bring up the task manager. Look at the total number of Processes running at the bottom, and the commit charge amount. The commit charge is the amount of memory currently in use. As you eliminate unwanted processes, that number will drop. Try www.blackviper.com for lists of XP services. Try this link for handy XP tweaks to trim the fat on your system.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:17 pm

blkviper is a good site. also try musicxp.net