Home Studio Pics Thread

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:59 am

Here are some pics of my home studio. Things here sound pretty good.

Let's see yours!

kentothink

Post by kentothink » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:08 am

YES!!! and you have RECORDS!!!

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:10 am

Of course I do, they sound a heck of a lot better than those 16 bit pieces of crap we all burn!

rick_james

Post by rick_james » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:42 pm

With good(proper) mastering Cd's sound alot better than records. You just have to follow the rules and record in 24bit, use a high quality dithering system. burn slow. The trouble is commercial cd's are usually squished way too loud and sound terrible. And the 16bit pieces of crap most people are burning arent mastered or originlly recorded. You'll find a few cd's that showcase the potencial of the medium...usually classical stuff. I have records they dont sound as good. Some records benifit from that vinyl sound but I prefer to have the option to keep my sounds uncoloured. And will use an appropriate dsp or outboard effect box for achieving the sound i want.

Records sound crap compared to a properly produced Cd...you just have to remember to ask youself ... when music originally released back in the days of vinyl was converted to digital what year was it?, were the A-D converters up to scratch? , were the master tapes in the same condition as when they were put to vinyl or are they even the originals?, was a baboon acting as a mastering engineer at the time of conversion? So in alot of cases classic records are better than the CD version

CD's that sound bad are peoples(human) fault , not a limitation of the medium(16bit 44.1khz)

record and master in 24bit 44.1khz

burn slow to avoid jitter

use reputably media

spend years studying and praticing mastering

getting a cd to sound good is an artform in itself.

CD's kick ass! 24bit 96khz will be the end of the line for high quality audio in my opinion.(you cant hear better than that.) with 24 bit recording and dithering CD's can sound like 20bit at 16bit.

Axeman

Post by Axeman » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:50 am

Uh...dude...I think you missed the point :D :roll:

lespauljr

Post by lespauljr » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:27 pm

I LOVE THOSE FENDER HEADS!! Best amp I ever owned was a 62 Blonde Fender Bassman. You had to turn it up all the way to really rock and roll, but it was GLORIOUS. Got me evicted from two apartments back in the late 80's. Thems some fine pictures of a cool studio. I hope mine looks equally fine some day.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:31 am

LPJr,
Thanks. Here is a pic that I thought you would enjoy:

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:33 am

Here is a project LP junior that I boguth off ebay for 40 bucks. It had 17 3/4" holes drilled through the body. I repaired it and now it sounds great!