no midi out devices selected (XP)

Use this forum for all technical issues.
sungsinct

Post by sungsinct » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:51 am

i have cakewalk apprentice (for windows 3.1.....1) can i still use it with XP ? 2) a need to find out how to select the midi in and midi out ports...in XP ! any help will be greatly appreciated...thanx

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:05 am

First of all I would suggest running it in Win 95 compatibility mode and I would also only install it onto a FAT32 file system. So if you are running XP in NFTS file system then you will have to make a seperate FAT 32 partition.

If you have the option to change drivers in Apprentice setup (I can't remember that far back) make sure you are using MME drivers, this will at least allow access to the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.

Apart from that you have to have a soundcard with onboard Midi synth.

sungsinct

Post by sungsinct » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:27 pm

thanx for the trouble to reply, andy....if come back....to read this....maybe i should get upgrade to a more modern version and be done with it :oops: but thanx for your trouble....i will take a note of your advice

steampump

Post by steampump » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:02 pm

My old Cakewalk works but is there any way to select an other device like SBlive?
I was using the programm for years on same computer but under W98. But now the midimap emulation is only able to access to the synthwave.

No new product is able to play in midi loop like the old product or am i going wrong ?

Thanks

steampump

Post by steampump » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:03 pm

My old Cakewalk works but is there any way to select an other device like SBlive Uart midi port?
I was using the programm for years on same computer but under W98. But now the midimap emulation is only able to access to the synthwave.

No new product is able to play in midi loop like the old product or am i going wrong ?

Thanks

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:13 am

Try using the MME drivers to get XP GS wavetable synth. I would say that you soundcard drivers need reinstalling or updating if you cannot see the SB live midi ports.

Steampump

Post by Steampump » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:02 pm

Old Cakewalk works again under XP
Older release have direct access to installed midi devices but use a midimapper emulation on XP.
I found now where to configure the midi mapper.
Answere came from creativ's forum
Although the MIDI Mapper is not available, as such, in Win 32, there is still a MIDI Mapper device available to MIDI applications. When this device is selected as output from a MIDI application, output is directed to the device selected in Control Panel | Sounds and Multimedia | Audio | "MIDI Music Playback".

You need to selecte the midi device in the audio preference: Basic config is Microsoft GS Wavetable , but any other midi device installed on you pc can be selected from there.
If Midi Yoke is intalled you should also be able to select this device at same place.

I hope this will help some other music freaks.

Midi loop is only possible on older Cakewalk
With midi loop, i mean that the lenght of each track can be different and you can define how many time each track loop will be repeated. Sonar have no more this features, you can only play the loop between start and end position.