midi - audio

Use this forum for all technical issues.
tonki

Post by tonki » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:37 pm

Hello

Im really new to all the midi stuff but i created my first (midi) song
and i cant find a way to export it as wav or mp3 file.
Im using Sonar and i listen the midi with my Casio ctk-800 keyboard.
So i have several midi tracks using keyboard output (MK USB OUT).

I wonder how can i record that so it becomes midi or mp3. Im using Realtek AC97 soundcard and i didnt find a way to hear the music with my stereo speakers
So i hope that there are experts here who can explain to me how do i conver my song to mp3

thanx

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:22 pm

Tutorial Number 8 at the beginning of the manual or on line help files explains it all.
Tutorial 8—Using Soft Synths
A software synthesizer is a software program that produces various sounds through your audio
interface when the soft synth program receives MIDI data from a MIDI controller or sequencer
program. SONAR supports all major varieties of software synthesizers, including DXi, ReWire, and VST
Instruments (you can use VST instruments by running SONAR’s included VST Configuration Wizard to
configure the VST instruments). SONAR has a Synth Rack view to make inserting a soft synth a onestep
process.
Cakewalk TTS-1 is a great example of a soft synth, so let’s use it for our tutorial. Because this soft synth
supports the mult-output format, it has multiple outputs (4), and you can record the movement of some
of its controls as automation. You probably installed Cakewalk TTS-1 when you installed SONAR. To
make sure, open a project that has at least one audio track, right-click the FX field of an audio track to
open the plug-in popup menu, and look under Soft Synths. You should see Cakewalk TTS-1 listed. If
you don’t, insert your SONAR CD into your CD drive, install the software synthesizers including
Cakewalk TTS-1 to your hard drive, and restart SONAR.
This tutorial covers the following:
• Inserting Cakewalk TTS-1 into a project
• Playing MIDI tracks through a soft synth
• Converting soft synth tracks to audio

Inserting Cakewalk TTS-1 into a Project
Inserting a soft synth into a project means that the name of the soft synth appears in the dropdown
menus of MIDI track Output fields and audio track Input fields.
To Insert Cakewalk TTS-1 into a Project
1. Open a MIDI project—for this tutorial use TUTORIAL8.CWP.
2. Use the Insert-Soft Synths command and click Cakewalk TTS-1 on the popup menu.
The Insert Soft Synth Options dialog appears.
3. In the Create These Tracks fields, deselect MIDI Source, because we want to patch some preexisting
tracks into Cakewalk TTS-1.
4. Select All Synth Audio Outputs because we’re going to use a different synth track for each of
Cakewalk TTS-1’s 4 outputs. The new synth tracks have Cakewalk TTS-1 already patched to them
as audio inputs.
5. In the Open These Windows fields, select both Synth Property Page and Synth Rack view. These
two options open Cakewalk TTS-1’s property page (interface), and the Synth Rack view,
respectively.
6. Click OK.
SONAR inserts 4 synth tracks that each have one of Cakewalk TTS-1’s outputs as an input (notice that
these tracks have the soft synth label next to their track numbers), opens the Synth Rack view with
Cakewalk TTS-1 displayed in the first row, and opens Cakewalk TTS-1’s property page.
Notice that the Output field of the MIDI track is labeled Cakewalk TTS-1 1. The “1” means that this is
the first instance of Cakewalk TTS-1 that you have inserted into this project. If you use the Insert-Soft
Synths command to insert another instance or copy of Cakewalk TTS-1 into this project, its label will
be Cakewalk TTS-1 2, and it will function as a totally separate synth. MIDI data in tracks that use
Cakewalk TTS-1 1 as an output will have no effect on MIDI tracks that have Cakewalk TTS-1 2 as an
output.
Playing MIDI Tracks through a Soft Synth
Now that you have verified that Cakewalk TTS-1 is installed, let’s try some of its sounds on some prerecorded
MIDI data.
To Play MIDI Tracks through Cakewalk TTS-1
1. Drag the Cakewalk TTS-1 property page out of the way for now, and in the first MIDI track (Guitar
1), click the dropdown arrow in the track’s Output field, and choose Cakewalk TTS-1 as an output.
Notice that when you choose Cakewalk TTS-1 as a track’s output, the patch for that track’s MIDI
channel in Cakewalk TTS-1 interface changes to the same one that the track displays.
2. Set the Output fields in all the other MIDI tracks to Cakewalk TTS-1. Note: When the cursor is in
the Output field of one track, pressing the Up or Down arrow key moves the cursor to the same
field in the next track.
3. Let’s insert a patch change in track 1: click the track number of the Guitar 1 track to select it, and
move the Now time to the Verse 1 marker by clicking the Next Marker button once (the Next
Marker button is in the Markers toolbar; if you don’t see it, use the View-Toolbars command and
check Markers).
4. Use the Insert-Patch/Bank Change command to open the Bank/Patch Change dialog box.
5. In the Bank field, select 15488-Preset Normal 0, and in the Patch field, select Overdrive Gt, and
click OK.
Now you’ve routed your MIDI tracks through Cakewalk TTS-1, and inserted a patch change. Rewind
the project and play it to hear the project through Cakewalk TTS-1.
Converting Your Soft Synth Tracks to Audio
Once your project sounds the way you want it, it’s extremely easy to convert your soft synth MIDI tracks
to either new audio tracks, or Wave, MP3, or other exportable files.
To Convert Your Soft Synth Tracks to New Audio Tracks
1. Mute all tracks that you don’t want to convert; make sure you don’t mute the synth track(s) that
the soft synth is patched into, or the MIDI track(s) that you are using as a source.
2. Let’s set our MIDI tracks to use different outputs on the TTS-1: in the TTS-1 interface, click the
System button to open the System Settings panel, and click the Option button in System Settings
to open the Options dialog.
3. On the Output Assign tab look in the Tone Name column, and click one of the four Output buttons
next to each name in the Tone Name column. This assigns your individual MIDI instruments to
different audio outputs from the TTS-1. Click the Close button.
4. Use the Edit-Bounce to Track(s) command.
The Bounce to Track(s) dialog box appears.
5. In the Source Category field, choose Tracks.
6. In the Channel Format field, choose mono if you want mono tracks, and stereo if you want stereo
tracks.
7. In the Source/Buses field, make sure all 4 outputs are selected. This will create a separate audio
track for each selected output. If you wanted to combine your MIDI tracks into just one audio
tracks, send all the MIDI tracks through just one output (Step 3), and select only that output in the
Source/Buses field.
8. In the Mix Enables field, make sure all choices are selected.
9. Click OK.
SONAR creates new audio tracks from the outputs you selected. When you’re through converting, don’t
forget to mute your MIDI tracks so you won’t hear them and the new audio track(s) at the same time.
To Export Your Soft Synth Tracks as Wave, MP3, or Other Type Files
1. Mute all tracks that you don’t want to export; make sure you don’t mute the synth track(s) that the
soft synth is patched into, or the MIDI track(s) that you are using as a source.
2. Use the File-Export-Audio command.
The Export Audio dialog box appears.
3. In the Look in field, choose the location where you want the exported file to be.
4. Type a file name in the File name field.
5. In the Files of Type field, choose the kind or file you want to create.
6. In the Source Category field, choose Tracks if you want to create separate files for each MIDI track,
or choose Entire Mix if you want to create one file.
7. Choose a channel format, sample rate, and bit depth that are appropriate for the new file(s) you
are creating. Don’t choose Split Mono in the Channel Format field if you want to export a single
file.
8. In the Source/Buses field, select all outputs if you chose Tracks in Step 6, or accept the default if
you chose Entire Mix.
9. In the Mix Enables field, make sure all choices are selected.
10. Click OK.
SONAR creates a new audio file or files of the type you specified. Find the file(s) in the folder you
specified, and double-click each file to listen to it.

Have fun :wink:

tonki

Post by tonki » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:11 pm

Yes i tried that and it was working for me
but then the sound wasnt the same if i used cakewalk synth instead of my keyboard. So i guess it isnt posible then to have the keyboard sound?

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:33 pm

You will have to make a connection between the line out of the keyboard and the line in of your soundcard.

Then it is simply a matter of inserting an audio track, ensure the input is set to the line in of your soundcard, arm the track and press record. The midi tracks should play and the audio track should record.

If you want to have seperate audio tracks for each midi track then you will need to repeat the process but with each midi track being solo'd and recorded to a different audio track.

Coyman

Post by Coyman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:23 am

andychap wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:33 pm
You will have to read more about Phallosan Forte here and make a connection between the line out of the keyboard and the line in of your soundcard.

Then it is simply a matter of inserting an audio track, ensure the input is set to the line in of your soundcard, arm the track and press record. The midi tracks should play and the audio track should record.

If you want to have seperate audio tracks for each midi track then you will need to repeat the process but with each midi track being solo'd and recorded to a different audio track.
Is it possible to export as Mp4 instead of mp3?
Last edited by Coyman on Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ricardo007

Post by Ricardo007 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:19 am

I will definitely be.