sound cards

Use this forum for all technical issues.
eddie

Post by eddie » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:33 pm

im wondring wot soundcard to buy as i hear so many faults about ome cards ie creative soundblaster audigy ones i still want one but dont know wot one to get im into recording my own stuff and want a good sound and bass wot should i go for

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:36 pm

[quote="eddie"]im wondring wot soundcard to buy as i hear so many faults about some cards. ie creative soundblaster audigy ones, i still want one but dont know wot one to get, im into recording my own stuff and want a good sound and bass wot should i go for and what size do u think a 7.1 is a good idea if so hat would be good soundcard to grt as in the name of it too.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:38 pm

Anonymous wrote:
eddie wrote:im wondring wot soundcard to buy as i hear so many faults about some cards. ie creative soundblaster audigy ones, i still want one but dont know wot one to get, im into recording my own stuff and want a good sound and bass wot should i go for and what size do u think a 7.1 is a good idea if so hat would be good soundcard to grt as in the name of it too.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:53 pm

I would stay away from the SOundBlaster cards. My experience with them has been they are marketeted as a "consumer pro" card. Meaning the guy at BestBuy will tell you that's THE card for audio.

I'm sure for games, the SOundBlaster cards are great. As far as the audio market goes, I would reccomend a MOTU 828 (this is a firewire card) or any of the MOTU interfaces. Frontier makes nice cards (I use a Tascam card made by Frontier and like it), Yamaha makes some good cards as do a few other manufacturers.

Pick up a copy of Electronic Musician, Recording or EQ and check out some of the ads and reviews in there. Visit websites and check out specs, talk to your friends and see what they're using and narrow it down to 3 or four cards.

Come back and ask us what we know about the 3 or 4 along with what exactley you need to be doing and I'm sure someone will let you know if the card causes conflicts, etc...

Try joining the Cakewalk newsgroup and asking around there too.

Here are some questions you may want to ask yourself

- How many ins/outs do I need

- Do I need WordClock Sync

- Do I need a synth on the card or do I use external or soft synths?

- Do I need any special ins/outs (ADAT, TDIF, optical, SPDIF, etc...)?

- Do I need MIDI ins/outs or do you have an external midi interface?

- How much do I have to spend?

These questions will help you choose a card that is right for you. Everyone needs a different card and is on a different budget!

Good Luck and Let us know what you choose!