Sonar 3- VSTi's only sound when song is playing, not idle

Use this forum for all technical issues.
bcmusic76

Post by bcmusic76 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:14 am

Hello all. I am new to this forum, but a longtime Cakewalk user.

I recently upgraded to Sonar 3 (but still use Sonar 2 on a regular basis). I have contacted Cakewalk about this problem but they do not know what it is and suggested I try the forums.

Say I insert a DXi track... for example, my Native Instruments Pro-53 which I love so much. Ok, so it's there, with the audio output track that Sonar 3 graciously inserts automatically (nice feature). I tap on my keyboard, and no sound from the Pro-53. All outputs and inputs are set correctly. But here's the catch.

I can play the Pro-53 when a song is playing (for example, if I drop a drum loop in the song). It plays perfectly. Then, if I press the space bar to stop the song, or if the loop runs out and reaches the end of the track, all of a sudden my Pro-53 will not sound, even though I know MIDI is transmitting because I can see the icon in the bottom right corner of my screen (the little keyboard icon that lights up when MIDI is being transmitted).

Does anyone know what's up? It works perfectly in Sonar 2, I have no idea why it will not let me noodle around with the Pro-53 (or ANY DXi/VST instrument) when the song is idle (stopped).

Thanks for any information!

-Skip

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:02 pm

I have the exact same problem with my B4, maybe it should be addressed to NI and see what they can come up with. I am using Sonar 2.2 and found that the DX version will not work as you have described but if I load the VST version (it appears twice in my menu) then it works through the wrapper.

Do you have this option. I also found that if I assign a channel to it no joy as soon a I leave the channel blank it works.

Have a look on the KVR website, there is always a lot of info on there.

bbarnes

Post by bbarnes » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:27 am

I have the same problem with all VSTi's in Home Studio 2004. DXi's work fine. I'm using Windows 98 SE on a Pentium 3 750 w/ 192 MB RAM, ABIT BE6 MOBO. Waveterminal 192M Audio Card (same problem w/ WDM or ASIO drivers)
What OS and hardware are you using? I'm hoping to find some kind of link because aparently not many are having this problem. I just purchased the new VST Wrapper and will see if that helps.

Bill[/u]