No audio using ASIO in HS 2004

Use this forum for all technical issues.
Beatfox

Post by Beatfox » Tue May 11, 2004 6:45 am

I'm using Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 in Windows XP Home on an Audigy 2 ZS. I read that switching to ASIO mode in Cakewalk can lower the latency significantly, so I tried it and restarted the program. Unfortunately, it's giving me nothing but silence now. Checked all the inputs and outputs for the tracks, and everything looks good. What could be wrong?

I did notice one odd thing: in Audio Options -> Drivers, there appear to be two sets of drivers in both the input pane and output pane. Each driver in the first set is preceded by "Creative ASIO", while each one in the second set is preceded by "SB Audigy 2 ZS ASIO [D800]". Also, the drivers in the latter set are grayed out and unselectable. Something tells me this isn't normal, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

andychap

Post by andychap » Tue May 11, 2004 8:23 am

That sounds right. If you are using the ASIO drivers you would not be able to use the normal Audigy drivers.

It is audio you can't here and not midi, I take it. If it's midi that you can't here it's because your ASIO drivers will not recognise the Audigy on board synths. You would have to route your midi to an external sound source or a softsynth.

If it's audio you can't hear, I don't know what could be causing that. Work through the trouble shooter in the manual it might give you some clues. Try increasing latency to see if that makes any difference.

Beatfox

Post by Beatfox » Tue May 11, 2004 5:34 pm

That sounds right. If you are using the ASIO drivers you would not be able to use the normal Audigy drivers.
That would make sense, except I mentioned that the grayed-out drivers also said "ASIO" in them. Seems a bit odd. When in the default WDM mode, there is only 1 set of drivers in each pane (which don't say "ASIO", of course).
It is audio you can't here and not midi, I take it. If it's midi that you can't here it's because your ASIO drivers will not recognise the Audigy on board synths. You would have to route your midi to an external sound source or a softsynth.
Correct, it's the audio that I can't hear. I prefer using soft-synthesis only so that I can add effect plugins to whatever tracks I wish.
If it's audio you can't hear, I don't know what could be causing that. Work through the trouble shooter in the manual it might give you some clues. Try increasing latency to see if that makes any difference.
I tried the troubleshooter, and I tried increasing the latency. No luck with either.