Lag on Recording Meters

Use this forum for all technical issues.
MLC

Post by MLC » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:08 pm

On my rig there's a pretty noticable lag in the response of the input meters when I'm recording. Is there anyway to get rid of this lag? I haven't been able to find any info on this online.

BTW, I have playback meters turned off.

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:33 pm

I don't think there is an issue other than a visual lag. I notice it on mine also, but the audio is just fine. So I will just monitor it for peaks before recording then close the window. As far as I know, this does not happen when I am mixing down to another track. The recording meter is in time with the audio.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:08 pm

Yeah - there's no problem with lag in the actually audio, but it makes recording some instruments very difficult - say, vocals, where you want to ride the Mic Pre in real-time.

Recording bass/guitar is no sweat, but it was really pissing me off when I tried to do some vocals, and I was trying to stay away from over-compression.

The funny thing is I didn't notice this problem in Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 (not that I want to go back to it, mind you)

MLC

Post by MLC » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:09 pm

oops - that last post was from me . . .

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:57 pm

You need to adjust your latency settings.

Go to Options-Audio- General and expirement with the latency slider. It will work best towards the 'fast' side.

After that, click the 'Advanced' tab and adjust your buffer setting (64 works well for me, but this is system dependent). Untick the enable write cahcing and read caching boxes.

Restart and try. Your latency will be reduced.

Good Luck!

kentothink

Post by kentothink » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:08 pm

what the heck is write and read caching anyway? :?:
:idea:
if you adjust your latency to be really nice and fast, you may experience dropouts. my suggestion would be to check levels with your latency to almost real time and watch the meter then change your latency back to where it doesnt drop out on playback and do the actual recording.