sonar 2.2 and m-audio ozone

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
cso

Post by cso » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:47 pm

Has anyone had experience using m-audio ozone and sonar 2.2? my CPU is apprx 733MHz (ok, i'm a newbie), 256RAM, and running XP. I've finally got sound coming from the keyboard (though i've seen the mighty blue screen 3 x). I can hear all the sample tracks, and can play and hear the different instruments per track when I hit the keys. Problem is when I try to create a new project (midi), and use edirol orchestra or other stuff, i can't hear a thing on the keyboard. What have i done wrong? Have I missed something? Any info is really appreciated!!!

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:30 pm

The midi sound that you hear playing back though your keyboard is not the same as the audio from a softsynth. This will have to be routed out through your PC speakers or preferably a Hi Fi conected to the line out on the sound card.

cso

Post by cso » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:15 pm

Hi, thanks for your response, Andy...now for a really stoopid question:
what is the difference between the midi sound that I hear playing back though my keyboard and the audio from a softsynth?

If i've loaded the softsynth (edirol orchestra) onto my midi track, why shouldn't I hear the midi sound of the softsynth playing back? How are the audio tracks related to the midi tracks? Do they need to correspond/match? The sound card I'm using for audio is the one inside the ozone keyboard, not my PC. Should I be routing sound through my PC speakers or should I be routing sound through speakers hooked up to the ozone keyboard? If the latter, I have already tried this and there is no sound.

Sorry for the dumb questions...I'm just trying to understand, and I'm spending a lot of time just setting up my ozone keyboard for sound, rather than making music. I'm used to the ol' acoustic instruments, ya' see...

Anyway, thanks again for your help!!!

cheers, cso

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:08 am

Basically midi is not sound and audio is. Midi is just computer data that travels to the device with the sounds in it and tells that device what to play, when and for how long.

In your case the midi info is travelling back to you keyboard and triggering the voices on your keyboard which then plays those voices as audio sound through you keyboard speakers.

The same thing happens with a softsynth or DXi. It is basically a software version of a keyboard or groups of instruments. In this case the midi information never leaves the computer but is routed internall to the softsynth and triggers the voices it contains. The softsynth then plays the voices as audio on an audio track from the computer.

You computer will have a soundcard in it of some description for you to play CDs etc and here multimedia sound. I'm afraid I don't know much about the M audio Ozone but I should imagine it is just like anyother midi controller only it has a bank of sounds built into it.

If it happens to have a line in on the keyboard to feed an audio signal into it then you need to connect a cble from the line out of the PC to the line in on the keyboard and then you should here audio as well.

cso

Post by cso » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:35 pm

Thanks so much for your clear explanation! and for not just referring me to a manual or book, like midi/softsynth for dummies! though i'm looking into that, too...I'm just seeking help wherever i can... ok, i'll see if i can connect a line in on the keyboard to the line out of the pc...I thought the USB cable that connects the ozone keyboard to my computer would take care of it, but maybe not...i'll see if it works...thanks again!

cso

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:34 pm

This is probably one of the best links I ever got for articles on computer music.

It's the Archive of the StudioCovers site which seems to have gone now. Most of the articles are written by very knowledgable people and the Midi section is particularly good.

http://web.archive.org/web/200302161600 ... overs.com/

Happy reading :D

cso

Post by cso » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:40 pm

great website... the tweakmeister's the best

cheers,

cso

a guest

Post by a guest » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:56 pm

hi. i still cant get my ozone to work properly either. cso, if you have found how to do this, please email me at stryfe007@aol.com, thanks

kentothink

Post by kentothink » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:02 am

I think of MIDI as a piano roll in an old player piano. You can put it in any player piano to make it sound different, but the "roll" doesnt sound like anything.

Dan

Post by Dan » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:28 am

Studiocovers is no more. The full directory is now online at
http://theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm