midi to com port 1 - can I record?

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:38 pm

I don't have a line-in running from my Concertmate 1500 midi keyboard to my sound card, but I have the midi cables hooked to the com port (15 pin). Now when I play my keyboard, the sound comes out from the keyboard speakers - and it records on cakewalk. But when I want to playback, it needs the keyboard to be on! Can't it playback through the computer speakers? Thanks

Butch

Post by Butch » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:37 am

set it up under under options

Special-K

Post by Special-K » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:38 pm

<and it records on cakewalk>

Presumably you mean the track is a recording midi data.

As Butch said got into Windows Volume Control Options/Properties.
Select Recording and one of these should be equivalent to what you hear through the computer speakers. It'll probably be called something like "What I Hear" or "Wave Out Mix" or similar.

Then in CW insert an audio track to record what you hear

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:37 pm

I think you're all missing the problem here. If you haven't got the line out from the keyboard connected to the soundcard, then you are recording MIDI not audio, so there is no way you will hear it back through the computer's speakers. If you want to hear the sound of the keyboard but through the computer's speakers you need to connect them together with an audio cable and record an audio track, not a MIDI track. Otherwise you are just recording the note instructions, not the actual sounds.