MPU-401 rubbish and doesn't play midi's

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
Beardofthejungle

Post by Beardofthejungle » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:46 am

Hi, i'm on windows XP but my computer doesn't play midi's it just acts like it is but no sound comes out, i think i found the problem when i go into control panel, sound and audio devices then click on the audio tab, on the third drop down box which is midi music playback there is only mpu-401 to select.
i have been told that this does not send sound to the speakers. please can anyone help me out, desperately !!!

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:14 pm

That's correct about not sending sound to the speakers. The MPU-401 is a device for sending MIDI information to an external device like a synthesizer or keyboard.

You need to have a soundcard installed which will support MIDI which should also appear in the audio drop down box you describe.

Saying this though I cant believe you have no soundcard when you have a system like XP installed so maybe my previous statement is irrelevant.

magoo

Post by magoo » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:30 pm

Settings are correct in Windows XP, Sonar RECOGNIZES the sound card (I ran wave profiler and it says it is ok every time) and still can't hear a darn thing!! Can anybody help PLEEEZE! THis is friggin aggravating and I don't want to run out and buy a new sound card if that isn't even the problem....is there a way to find out if the sound card is MIDI compatible?!? Thank you, oh thank you!

CraigarS

Post by CraigarS » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:55 pm

I've started having a similar problem since I upgraded to XP. I have both the MPU-401 and the GS Wavetable in my Control Panel (the GS Wavetable is the default). When I get into Sonar, it can only see the MPU-401 and the MS Midi Mapper as selection for MIDI I/O. So, I can't even use a midi note as the metronome. Also, I used to use the PC speaker for the clicks, but now I can't hear that anymore, either. I'd LOVE to know how to fix this. :? How can I tell SONAR that the GS Wavetable exists? Reinstall the card in Device Manager?

Any info would be most appreciated,

CraigarS

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:08 am

Nobody is saying what type of souncard they have but it sounds like they need updated drivers which are supported by XP.

I would suggest going to respective websites and downloading WDM drivers.

It sounds like in most cases it is on board soundchips that are causing the problems.

The only other solution is to start playing your midi files through some sort of soft synth. XL users get the edirol VSC free with Sonar and Homestudio.