cakewalk shuts down when i try to open a project

Use this forum for all technical issues.
azwel

Post by azwel » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:24 am

i try to open one specific project and cakewalk just shuts down..just this one project..anyone know about this kind of error?

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:42 pm

Are you using Sonar3 and if so does your machine restart?

If yes, do you have any other audio program installed (GigaStudio, Project5, SoundForge etc??)

andychap

Post by andychap » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:22 pm

Probably a dodgy effect plugin or something. Try starting your PC in safe mode and then open the project. Once open disable all the plugins and save the project. Restart computer in normal mode and try opening the the project. If it opens then enable each plugin one at a time resave and open again until you come across the one that causes it to crash.

I used to have problems with the Cakewalk FX reverb plugin in Sonar 1.3.

kentothink

Post by kentothink » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:25 pm

I have had a similar problem with Timeworks Phazer. IT just wouldn't play unless I turned it off or deleted it from a track. weird. the Cakewalk Compressor FX or whatever it is has given me some DEATHLY problems. screen freeze...but audio doesnt stop...but somehow twists itself into this vortex of white noise...fortunately, i got some nice Waves plugins and those Cakewalk unstable fx are a thing of the past.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:10 pm

Ken,
I have to agree with you about the Cakewalk plugs. I think they have to get something going here. Although I am pretty sure they are aware of this issue and the Lexicon Pantheon is a direction I would like to see them follow up in.

Many of the plugs are just not that good. They have come a long way. It would be very cool to see Cakewalk partner with Lexicon (some more), TC Electronics or Universal Audio to include some really kick ass plugs.

On the other hand, Sonar is affordable and my waves plugs cost me about $1500.00 US, my UAD-1 was about $600.00 (+$150.00 for Cambridge EQ) and my other eq was about $200.00.

I guess what I'm saying is that Sonar 3 is a pretty rocking program. I held off switching to Sonar for the logest time (I was a PA user since v6), but love it now that I have had it a couple months. I like the interface now that I'm used to it (most of the time) and like the routing flexability.

IMHO Sonar kicks ProTools butt simply becasue TDM plugs are too expensive and I don't want to buy proprietary hardware (I have a Mac Quadra 650 with SCSI everything, AudioMedia II and an 8 input PT interface, alot of good it does me now!)

Sonar is great and cheap. The fact that the plugs aren't that good is fine (in a way) because there are so many third party developers. I LOVE the fact that we can use VST plugs now with no issues. That in itself solves the problem.

Say you don't have much cash and want a pro DAW, buy a quick box and Sonar 3 for $400.00. You'll get some plugs that are better than nothing, make your project, burn it to cd or dvd and take it over to a freinds who has all the plugs or to a local studio.

When you save a few hundred, you can buy a plug and not have to chuck your whole rig. It's a great platform for expandability.