Patch Change, Roland RS-9, Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:28 pm

I am using a Roland RS-9 and Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL. I am having difficulty figuring out how to affect the patch change events I want from Cakewalk to the RS-9. I can get the result I desire by inserting a patch change event using what looks like the default GM patch bank descriptions in Cakewalk, but of course these do not match the 512 sounds in the RS-9 unless the RS-9 is in GM mode. And I can only get the desired result once I manually switch the RS-9 for each MIDI channel to the proper performance mode so it can switch to the patch I want.

There's got to be a way to define a bank(s) of patches in Cakewalk that match the complete library of patches in the RS-9 that will allow me to open a Cakewalk project, hit PLAY, and thus assign the patches I want to each MIDI channel in the RS-9 without any manual button-pushing on the RS-9.

Unfortunately, I have been out of the "MIDI world" for about ten years. Back then when I wanted to do a patch change I would simply insert a patch change event that "sent" a "patch number" to the keyboard/tone module and that was that.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I much appreciate it. :)

chrisw

Post by chrisw » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:16 pm

I'm the "Guest" who asked this question. At least I found the Cakewalk Instrument Definition FTP site :

ftp://ftp.cakewalk.com/pub/InstrumentDefinitions/

But still no def for RS-9 or RS-5.

I also found a very helpful user site that got me up to speed on patch changes. The Roland manual makes a little more sense now.

chrisw

Post by chrisw » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:33 pm

Finally found def file for RS-5/RS-9:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rolandrs/files/

The Roland site looks great, but it is a total disaster when trying to find stuff like this. Ditto for Cakewalk's site, though I eventually found their def file site.

I'll have to try this file when I get home.

I hope this works, and I hope this info helps others out there.