Increasing latency in Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.03

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
popztar

Post by popztar » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:43 pm

I have a problem with increasing latency in Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.03. When I first fire up Cakewalk, everything works normal, and when I select a track and plays live on my keyboard, there is no latency. After just a few minutes the latency starts to increase. After just a few minutes more the latency from when I play the keyboard til the sounds comes out of the speakers are totally unplayable. I am able to solve the problem by restarting cakewalk, and then everything works normal, but just a few minutes.... It seems like the longer time it goes, the more the latency inreases.

Any ideas on how to solve the problem for good?

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:56 pm

Tage a look at your systems virtual memory. Also, it could be a driver issue with your midi interface.
It's hard to solve when you don't post system info and os.
Good Luck!

popztar

Post by popztar » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:21 pm

Sorry for not posting system and os:

AMD 1900 - msi k7266 pro(motherboard)
512 mb ram
wd 80 gb harddisk
Windows xp pro (recently fresh install)
Yamaha sw1000xg (soundcard)
Echo Mia (soundcard)

I run some VST synths in Steinberg V-stack, but the problem with latency is also present when I use sounds from the Yamaha sw1000xg.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:07 pm

What are you using for a controller?

Do you have MIDI echo turned on or off?

When you say unplayable do you mean latent or garbaled sound?

is your soundcard on its own irq?

Do you have the newest xp driers installed?

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:51 pm

OK, you are running PA 9,03 with VST synths. I am assuming that you are using some sort of third party vst wrapper.

I know that PA9/Sonar 2.2 can't echo a single midi input to more than one channel, this issue effects performance of softsynths when layering is involved. Coupled with the fact that you are using a 3rd party vst wrapper could be causing your problems.

I would suggest upgrading to Sonar3 which gives you a clean (native) vst wrapper and solves some of the midi/softsynth issues. There was a great article in last month's (11/03) EM. You may want to check it out.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:13 pm

Yes, I am aware of the Playlist issue. From what I have heard it will be resloved in a future upgrade