using wav files

Use this forum to discuss Midi Issues as they relate to Cakewalk.
14notes

Post by 14notes » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:02 am

Hey Andy, thanks for the reply. Maybe you can dissolve some of my naievete regarding this issue. My 14 year old has a keyboard and a Roland JV1010. Her computer is clear in the other end of the house. Is it possible to record the signal from her keyboard onto a digital tape -- a camcorder-- and then play THAT into the Cakewalk program? Would that be a midi file? Must the compter be attached to the keyboard for the program to "capture" the file?
Thanks so much. (What ever happened to the Andy Cap cartoons?)
Last edited by 14notes on Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:16 pm

Sorry but you can't print notation from am audio track only a midi track.

There are various audio/midi recognition programs free or shareware on the net that will analyse a wav file and convert it to midi. Some are good, some not and they work best with monophonic sounds.

14notes

Post by 14notes » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:48 pm

andychap wrote:Sorry but you can't print notation from am audio track only a midi track.

There are various audio/midi recognition programs free or shareware on the net that will analyse a wav file and convert it to midi. Some are good, some not and they work best with monophonic sounds.
Hey Andy, thanks for the reply. Maybe you can dissolve some of my naievete regarding this issue. My 14 year old has a keyboard and a Roland JV1010. Her computer is clear in the other end of the house. Is it possible to record the signal from her keyboard onto a digital tape -- a camcorder-- and then play THAT into the Cakewalk program? Would that be a midi file? Must the compter be attached to the keyboard for the program to "capture" the file?
Thanks so much. (What ever happened to the Andy Cap cartoons?)

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:11 pm

A midi file is not an audio file but a recording of midi data (on off, patch change and controller data).

You have a wav file which is a digital audio file. You can not do what you are proposing.

launchpad67a

Post by launchpad67a » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:11 am

To reply to the question about recording a keyboards audio to a digital (or analog) camcorder. Sure you can do this, and then transfer that audio to your computer via...whatever ripping software you have. Then this is a .wav file (if thats the way you ripped it), and you can "import" this into Cakewalk. No problem!

To put it in short, if you can get an audio track to your computer, you can open it into Cakewalk.

Also, BTW...a .wav file is not necessarily a digital file. It can be analog or digital. It's just an 'uncompressed' audio file, unlike an mp3 and nothing like a midi file!

Mike