sonar 2.0 midi voices changing to newly selected voice! HELP

Use this forum to discuss Midi Issues as they relate to Cakewalk.
ohmygodim30

Post by ohmygodim30 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:56 pm

I've been trying to find a solution to this for weeks and cannot figure it out.

I have a Yamaha s80 and Sonar 2.0. I want to record Grand Piano on track one, Bass on track 2, guitar on 3, etc. and drums/percussion on 10, 11 and 12. I KNOW that drums go on channel 10... but here's the problem.

Every time I record something on channel 1, then move to channel 2 to change to a new instrument, channel 1 changes to that new instrument also! If I record drums first, then try to record piano, my drum track sounds like a piano! I'm using the instrument definition file for the s80... I don't know what to do!

I understand that I have to record in performance mode (which sucks because there are no good voices there). But I don't know what to put the MIDI settings to... local is off, but the IN and OUT?!?!??!? Omni, or the channel I'm recording on, or what?

I'm so frustrated... I have GOBS of stuff I want to record and I can't.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:31 am

Your right, local control on the keyboard has to be off. Leave you midi in to omni. Select a midi track and arm it. Set it to channel 1 and select bank and patch. Record your piece. To be sure that it wont change when you start to record your second track, go back to beginning of track, highlight it, go to insert menu>inset bank patch change and enter the bank and patch info in the box that appears. This will insert a marker at the beginning of the track and if it does try to change itself this should change it back.

ohmygodim30

Post by ohmygodim30 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:23 pm

Hi there. I tried what you suggested, but it still doesn't work. If I want to record the Grand Piano sound on track one, channel one, I have to put the keyboard into voice mode. However, midi wants to use performance mode, and so when I play it back, it takes whatever performance mode setting I have it in and uses that voice. For instance, I currently have it set to Pops (Performace mode G1) and that seems to be the only setting on the keyboard where the drums play back properly, but my track 1 channel 1 Grand Piano voice sounds like the pops organ.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Prof__

Post by Prof__ » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:46 am

Hey,

What you record in shouldn't matter. It's how you set it up in Cakewalk that determines how it sounds when it's played back. I can record the notes as a grand piano and play them back as a base.

There are 16 parts (assuming you don't have a plug-in). Make part 1 the piano and part 2 the base. Make sure you record the piano part on track 1, and the base into track 2 (in Sonar). When you playback you should be all set.

Now, if your parts change from piano and bass after you start playback. Go to Utility, and set Bank, Program to OFF in the midi section. You can also set these off in the individual parts as well.

Good Luck

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:38 pm

I have to agree with Andy that it is definitley a problem with local control.

Many times even though you set your local control off it gets reset or kicks over when it recieves a midi message. This can be very frustrating.

There is a small edit you can do that will disable local control whenever you launch Sonar:

- Go to the folder where Sonar is installed
(it will look something like this C:\Program Files\Sonar)

- double click on TTSEQ.INI

- Press 'cntrl f' and enter 'options'

- in the options section, add the line:
SendLocalOff=1 exactly as I have written

- Now when you launch Sonar you won't have to worry about local control mucking up your sequence.

Good Luck!
GG