Sonar with c-port 24bit/96khz ADSP24 card!

Use this forum for all technical issues.
Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:13 pm

I am running windows XP and Have sonar version 2.0XL, I want to know if cakewalk needs to be set up in 24 bit 96khz recording form with the project set to 24 bit audio. I had Sonar set up to record 16 bit audio and the conversion was at 24 bit converter on my soundcart at 44.1khz. Could I get some kind of latency problem because of the cards audio format being 24bit/96khz and sonar being set up to run 16/44.1khz. What are the best settings for this problem.

toti

Post by toti » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:50 am

It shouldn't make any difference to the latency Adam. The C-port does the down conversion in hardware and is more than capable of doing this without affecting the latency. The latency will be affected by your dma/buffer setting and your cpu horsepower. As far as Sonar's concerned, recording at 24bit doubles the bandwidth throughput as does going from 48kHz to 96kHz, for a slight increase in audio fidelity and a huge sacrifice in system performance. I personally record at 24bit, 48kHz with the C-port and sonar and I find this works best for me and my requirements. I also have 16bit, 48kHz projects and these work fine as well with no compromise in latency and a lot more efficient cpu usage. I have a high spec system now having recently upgraded and this is why I record with 24bit now. At the end of the day you need to try out several different settings and work out what's going to best work for you with your current system setup, with regards to track count, fx, dxi, etc....
I hope this answered your question. :wink:
Toti

garym

Post by garym » Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:44 pm

Toti - I'm just getting going in this... haven't even purchased the stuff yet... Although I have learned some things about 4-track audio recording (on a Tascam 414 MK II).

I'd like to transfer 8 tracks (these are recorded on 2 separate cassette tapes) to a PC and clean them up and mix them. Thought I'd use Cakewalk and SONAR (not sure if I need the XL versions... but I do needed compression/gates).

I'd like to "get it right the first time".

Do I need the XL products?

What hardware should I get (I use IBM clones - not MAC but I could change if I had to)?

Any particular hardware/software to avoid?

Thank you.

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:12 pm

Always try to use 24 bit in your projects, you get a lot more head room when working on your audio mixes. Keep it at 24 bit all the way through the project until the CD burning stage when you have to dither down to 16 bit.