Can not hear metronome in monitor

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
BrianB

Post by BrianB » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:28 pm

Newbie here.

I'm using Cakewalk with an Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96 soundcard and break out box. I also have a SoundBlaster soundcard installed. Basically I port everything through my DirectPro for monitoring. However, I can not get the metronome to the direct pro. I can hear it through the soundblaster's outs, but not the Aardvark. It would be nice to not have to reroute everything to the soundblaster every time I want the metronome in the monitor.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I have to admit I am confused has to how the metronome is generated and I am pretty cluless when it comes to MIDI issues. I have read other posts on metronome issues, but none really sounded like the same problem. It sounds like I can create a click track with the session drummer, but it has become an obsession for me to get that pesky metronome through the 24/96.

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:45 pm

The metronome is generated by midi and the aardvark doesn't have onboard midi. You could try routing it through the soundbaster and connecting a seperate little speaker to it so that you can still hear it.

BrianB

Post by BrianB » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:19 pm

Since I initially posted, I found some threads on other boards that helped me undrestand how the metronome is generated and that it is a big frustration for many cakewalk users.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I wanted to use it as I do overdubs and didn't want to route all my tracks through the soundblaster.

Is there a way to record the click track on a seperate track, so after the first take it's in there if I ever want to bring it up again. Say I have the metronome settings as such:

Port: 1
Channel: 10
Duration: 6

Are there track settings which will record the metronome?

I'm thinking not or that would be an obvious work around that i hadn't seen pitched anywhere, but if it's gnerating midi sounds, I'm guessing there must be a way to record it as an audio file as i would suspect many MIDI users might want to do that. I'm just guessing though.

bbarnes

Post by bbarnes » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:04 am

connect a cable from the soundblaster out to the ardvark in and record the click track as audio. It is easier to make a midi track with notes for a click and play it through a DXi then save it as a template. This way you can change the tempo and the midi track will follow it.

Bill

BrianB

DXi

Post by BrianB » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:00 pm

My MIDI ignorance may be showing, but is a DXi just a plug in that acts as a source for MIDI sounds?

If so, I think I get it and do you have any recommendations of a good DXi to use for this function?

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:08 pm

The Edirol VSC is a good one to use.

Making a midi click track is easy. Just make one bar with the required beats at the correct tempo. Do this in the piano roll for accuracy and you can choose which drum sound you want ie. stick or snare rim. Make sure it is on channel 10.

Copy and past it the required amount of bars for the project.

Route it to a softsynth like the VSC and then bounce it down to audio or just play all your midi through the softsynth at the same time as the midi click track.

You don't say what Cakewalk product you are using but Sonar and the XL versions of Home Studio (I think) come with the edirol VSC free. If not, do a search for KVR on the net and go to their web site. They list just about every softsynth and virtual instrument both commercial and free available.

BrianB

Post by BrianB » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:02 pm

Thanks for the very useful help, guys.

I'm unsing ProAudio 9, it came with the Aardvark.

I'll give the DXi a shot. I don't use any MIDI at this point, but maybe after working with the piano roll and DXi, I'll find some good uses for it. Basically, I'm using the software with my bands as a writing, rehearsing, and demo tool.

I've been wondering if an upgrade to Sonar or Home Studio would be worthwhile, but I wanted to make sure my needs warranted it. What are the major differnces to consider between Pro Audio, Home Studio, and Sonar for mainly digital audio applications?

chad

Post by chad » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:51 pm

I am also having a problem with the metronome. I am assuming that a Teratec Phase II sound card does not have onboard MIDI?

I use to have a Turtle Beach Montego II soundcard, which worked great with my Cakewalk Pro Audio 8, but then I upgraded to XP and found out that Turtle Beach never made drivers for the Montego II in XP.

I really want to achieve a setup where I have the ease (I tend to use the staff mostly to compose up to 8 different MIDI tracks in a given piece) that I use to have with MIDI. I don't like using external controllers.

The Phase II is really great for audio, so I don't want to lose it, but is there some way I can set up a second sound card that has onboard MIDI to control my MIDI stuff in Cakewalk?

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Chad