Convert sample rate of 24 to 16.

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
StoneBrooke

Post by StoneBrooke » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:33 pm

:oops: Before I knew the ramifications of sample rates, I used a sample rate of 24 for a couple of my songs. Now, when I want to export to WMA streaming audio format, I can't seem to get the job done, because it seems that the Sonar files I want to use for that should have been made with a sample rate of 16.

How can I convert 24 to 16 so I can then get the tunes exported to WMA?
I tried changing 24 to 16 in the export wizard, but in the end, I got an error message.

My website is on-line (www.wateroflifeministries.org), but as of this writing, the audio is still not accessible. I discovered the answer to that problem was incorrect address coding on my part, but I also have learned that I did not use the correct audio format when exporting. I used something other than the Windows Streaming. Now I discovered the correct one, but as I say, there are at least two of my tunes that have used the wrong sample rate and because of this, they apparently will not convert.

Can you help??

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:53 am

Go into audio option and make sure the dithering option is ticked. You should then be able to resample to 16 bit when you export.

StoneBrooke

Post by StoneBrooke » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:49 am

andychap

I was very glad you sent an answer. Armed with great hope, I tried again. But as hard as I searched, I could find no "dithering" option to tick. I tried again anyway, and it seemed to be working...until the very end when, once again, I got the following error message:

"Unable to export audio because an error occured during file encoding. The selected output format may not be compatible with this encoder."

I hope you or someone else can shed further light on this issue.

StoneBrooke

Post by StoneBrooke » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:07 am

:oops:
It's good this face is an option. It is fitting.
I finally found the dithering option. But as it turns out, I already had that ticked. Alas, the results thusfar remain as previously reported...

:?

StoneBrooke

Post by StoneBrooke » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:36 pm

:D All is now well.

I know it's not popular to tell on oneself, but in case anyone finds themselves in my shoes, they should always read everything very, very carefully. I think the main problem was that in one of the export wizard menus, I read the phrase "dial-up" and "DSL" without reading the rest of the phrase...the last word was "video." Since I was working with audio only, don't you think that would go a long way to explain the error message?? I think so.

In addition to the highly significant detail above, I upgraded my SONAR 2.1 to 2.2 and I tried using 56k and 28k resolutions. Will all these efforts, my mission was ultimately accomplished.

Thanks for the forum, and thanks to andy who gave it a sensible go for me. Interested parties help things along.

End of thread :D