How do I assign a different instrument for playback?

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
LeAnne57

Post by LeAnne57 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:11 pm

Hi,

I am pretty familiar with Cakewalk as far as putting in the notes, etc., but I would like the playback to sound like a violin. How do I set it up for that? I've tried everything. Any help would be appreciated.

LeAnne

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:50 am

Different instruments are inserted as patches. You should be able to see this option on each track. Click on it and you should see a list of instruments available to you, just select the one you want. If it's just numbers that appear in the list, violin is number 41.

If that doesn't work post details of which cakewalk product you are using and details of your souncard and what midi output you are using.

LeAnne57

Post by LeAnne57 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:22 pm

Andy,

I may be out of luck because I have an early version of Cakewalk, version 1.0. My MIDI output devices are:

Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
Creative SB Live! Synthesizer
Creative SB Live! External MIDI

I know next to nothing about this stuff, but when I change the order of these devices, I get no sound at all.

This Cakewalk program has played back with different instruments before, but I don't know how it happened. I didn't change anything. But I think it must be possible to change the instrument for the playback. I'm just stumped as to how to do it. I tried what you suggested by clicking on a track, but nothing came up. Thanks again for the help!

LeAnne
andychap wrote:Different instruments are inserted as patches. You should be able to see this option on each track. Click on it and you should see a list of instruments available to you, just select the one you want. If it's just numbers that appear in the list, violin is number 41.

If that doesn't work post details of which cakewalk product you are using and details of your souncard and what midi output you are using.

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:39 pm

When you say Cakewalk version 1.0 do you mean Sonar.

If it is sonar then the first thing to do is go to the Options > Audio menu and on the advanced page make sure that the Use MME interface box is checked.

The midi outputs you have are the MS synth built into windows which is not very good.

The SB Live Synth is not much better.

The SB Live external plays the sounds back through your controller keyboard if it has sounds built in.

If you have an SB Live you should get another couple of options, The SB Live Synth A and Synth B. These allow you to use GM,GS and XG sound sets and also soundfonts which you can load onto your soundcard. These are all much netter quality.

Once you have enabled the MME interface, as abovel, run the wave profiler again on the first page of the Audio Options. If these extra midi outputs don't appear then you will have to reinstall you soundcard drivers or download and install the latest drivers from the creative site.

I will try and find a walk through type tutorial or web page that you can follow to set up your midi.

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:00 pm

LeAnne57

Post by LeAnne57 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:01 pm

Thanks, but just to let you know, it isn't Sonar. It is Cakewalk Score Writer for Windows version 1.0, and there is no audio menu under Options.

LeAnne

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:14 am

I'm not familiar with Score Writer at all, I'm afraid.

I would definately look at the Soundcard set up though as you should have those extra synths.

I would definately read the articles above on midi though and you might just see something that pertains to your problem.