Windows XP Pro, ASIO and Audigy 2 Issues

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
centersj

Post by centersj » Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:48 pm

I have a PIII500, 512 MB, running Sonar XL 2.2, Windows XP Pro, SB Audigy 2 Platinum. I have several wierd things going on, maybe someone has a solution. I started using the WDM/KS driver mode. Periodically, While playing a project, I get a crackle and the system seems to be running slower. If I open another project, everything seems ok and sounds good. I would then switch to ASIO driver mode. While the project is playing, absolutely no audio is coming through. Only MIDI. I'm also using Direct X 8.1. Any clue?

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:27 pm

Your running a hog of an OS on an older machine for one, I would switch to Windows 2000.

If you're getting a periodic crackle, is it possible you are clipping your signals? I'll guess no and ask how you have your word clock configured.

Does your soundcard support asio? I have heard of some odd asio problems. SoundBlaster cards are notoriously buggy, you may want to look into something from Motu, Frontier, Presonus, etc...

centersj

Post by centersj » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:12 am

I can't get ASIO to work AT ALL. When I change the driver support mode to ASIO and play a previously recorded project, I hear NO audio. MIDI plays ok, but Audio doesn't.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:36 pm

Maybe you have not configured your soundcard to play using the asio drivers. Check and then doublecheck it. It's more propable to hear something (but not what you expected) than to hear nothing at all.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:36 pm

Sonar 2.2 does not support ASIO drivers. Sorry for the delay - I misread and thought you were running v3!

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:42 pm

You won't get really good result with the WDM drivers and the Audigy either. It does not seem to be a good combination. Creative products always seem to run best on the MME drivers.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:40 pm

Andy - funny you should mention that. Just today I was at a local store with a friend and we were talking about the Creative/ASIO problem. I have seen a few Frontier cards that have the same problem - they support ASIO - but nothing works. Odd.
GG

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:52 pm

The ASIO drivers with the Creative cards do seem to work with cubase and the likes, but struggle with software that supports ASIO as a third party if you know what I mean.

Cakewalk standard is WDM so really if you want to use Sonar then you have to get a card with good WDM drivers. It's really a case of matching your software and your hardware.

I always say, see what software comes bundled with the card and then other versions of that software should work as well.

Creative just want to aim their products at every one, musicians, DJs, gamers and film watchers. What they don't seem to grasp is that there is a vast difference in just listening to high quality audio and actually producing it.

I think the only company to come close with the All Round performance card is Terratec with the DMX 6 Fire and that still has it's problems with certain hardware configurations.

centersj

Post by centersj » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:34 pm

I have heard of some having thier standard sound card in thier system. Then, adding a multitrack card like M-Audio or Mark of the Unicorn. etc, in addition to thier sound card installed. Could I add a second card like that and get beter ASIO support? Or would I still be in that delima with the Audigy?

andychap

Post by andychap » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:20 pm

Adding an audio only card like the M Audio whislt keeping you on board or existing soundcard is possible and would probably be a better option than the Audigy.

You could then use your existing card to play CD's Media player and DVDs etc and then just dedicate your new card to audio production.

If you are going to use Sonar as your sequencer of choice then I would suggest that you look at a card which has good WDM driver support. Don't forget that the drivers you get with the card may bnot be the newest always check the website for later updates.

One point to remember, if you do get and 24/96 audio card and decide to record at the superior quality of 24 bit then it will require more processor power and more memory as the files are a lot bigger.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:53 pm

Andy - great points above about the Creative cards.

centersj - I am running a MOTU 2408mkii with Sonar 3 using ASIO drives and latency is virtually non-existant even though my slider is about halfway. With my other system it had to be all the way to 'fast'

If you decide to go this route, look for a used 2408mkii. The difference between the mkii and mkiii is that the mkiii suports 96Khz and SMPTE.
As long as you're not working with video or doing 96Khz audio the mkii will serve you just fine - for less than half the price.

To run a 2408, 896, 1224, 24 i/o you need a free pci slot. The 828 works via firewire (1394). If you don't have these ports - you will need a card.

I do video but slave to a different smpte source and the 2408 works great! If you are into 96Khz audio - you'll have to pay the extra money.

Installing the motu stuff can be a hassle - but once it works it works.

Good Luck!

jh

Post by jh » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:01 am

Thanks