Simultaneous playback and record

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
Hayden

Post by Hayden » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:25 pm

Hi

This is my first experience with any electronic recording system, and I am battling. Some of the stuff in Sonar (I have an old v1.3.1) is easy to get into, others very confusing. If I have recorded a clip, how do I play it back and record a NEW track at the same time. In other words, how do I solo on a new track without the new track re-recording the backing track. This sounds confusing! I recorded rhythm on Track 1. I want to record lead on Track 2, while listening to track 1. If I do this, Sonar combines the tracks, which I don't want. I have an Audigy 1 card.

Any help appreciated.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:12 pm

There are two things you have to make sure are set up correctley:

1- Maek sure your soundcard is set to "full duplex" mode. This will enable you to record and monitor at the same time

2- In order to record on a new track and not have any of an existing track show up, you need to make sure your Port Selections are correct.

Example - Let's say you have two tracks (we'll call them Guitar and Vocal)

If you record Guitar and then are monitoring back on Port - Soundblaster_L, you would want to be sure to record Vocal using Soundblaster_R. If both are using the same port (in this case Soundblaster_L) you will get a mix of Guitar and Vocal on the new track.

The manual has some great documentaion on this. It takes a little trial and error, but as soon as you get it right you'll be all set!

Good Luck!

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:14 am

Also:

Go into the soundcard mixer recording properties (double click speaker icon in systray) and make sure only the option you are recording via is checked in the box. If you have the what u hear box checked it will record everything it hears.

If you are recording your second track through a microphone then you will obviously have to monitor through headphones.

Andy

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:24 pm

Thanks for the help - We're making some progress now on the Midi, but I have no idea how this SB Audigy One card separates its channels, and the Help is really crappy! I might bellow again!

firestorm

Post by firestorm » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:20 pm

hi guys, me having similar problem...

my sound card is Creative Audigy 2...

how do i know if the setting is full duplex? I search through Audigy 2 manual but cannot locate the word "full duplex". any other terminology in Audigy 2 that means the same thing?

the port is always SB Audigy Audio [D800] , and there is no other choice.

e,g

my piano wav (not midi) is playing back at port D800 (as output) and when i record my vocal on new track, i was forced to use port D800 (as input). the recorded track will comprise both piano and my vocal.

does Creative Founder Mr Sim knows this problem?

or is it that i overlooked something? is the problem at Sound Card Setting or Home Studio Setting?

please advice....anyone (including Mr Sim and Co) :o

Rich

Post by Rich » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:37 pm

Hey man, same problem myself with bloody audigy. I expected to be able to record from any of the dedicated inputs that i bought the card for! I don't want pro quality just ease of use!!

After arsing about, I have come up with a way round that doesn't involve too much hassle. Go into control panel and select sound and audio devices. In advanced device volume you can pan wave/mp3 full left and line-in2 (which is where I line in my amp or 4-track mixer) full right. What I decided to do was to go into surround mixer and select 2 speakers likewise in sound and audio device (i got 5.1 surround with the card). Then in cakewalk you can choose to record from the right. When it plays back it will come out the left when you record your second track. You may also realise that the metronome will be recorded which is throroughly unacceptable so pan midi left aswell or midi out to a drum machine if you like. Panning midi will enable you to hear any other arrangements you have though. Make sure you have all effects off when recording otherwise the effects come out both left and right giving a bit of leak into your separate tracks which i is a bit ***.

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:17 am

The whole idea of a full duplex soundcard is to be able to record whilst monitoring you previous tracks.

Most soundcards these days are full duplex so there is no setting up to do. You have to enable the monitoring while recording within you cakewalk applictaion. Go to options > audio > input monitoring and make sure your soundcard is highlighted there.

Then go into you soundcard mixer > recording > propeties (might be different from card to card) and make sure that if you have a 'What U hear' option that it is unchecked. This is why your metronome is being recorded. Make sure that the only source you are recording from is checked.

You should now be able to record one track at a time whilst monitoring the others. Remember if you are recording with a microphone to monitor with headphones so that the mic doesn't pick up you backing track.

Rich

Post by Rich » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:19 am

Cheers andy. Perhaps you could help me more. I don't think I explained fully. Being a poor student, I'm running an old cakewalk program called cakewalk pro audio 8. I have simultaneous playback and record checked in audio options. There is no place to select soundcard. I also had my record source in the sound card's mixer set to LineIn2 but I'm thinking maybe it's the software choosing where to record from. I can record from any selected source in creative recorder no probs just not in pro audio. If I have to, I can put up with my substandard set up so long as it bloody works. Ideally I wouldn't mind investing in the latest studio software but I would be mightily pissed off if I get it back and realise it's still the same. I downloaded the latest version of guitar tracks demo which I thought might use a similar engine and had exactly the same problem. Any ideas? I really don't have much of a clue what I'm talking about!!

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:43 pm

Rich, I don't know much about the audigy card so I don't know what is going on with that. It's been a long time since I used Pro Audio so I can't really remember how to set that up properly.

If you are in the UK and you are a student then you might be able to buy newer recording software cheaper on a student license. It might be worth looking at. Or look for second hand versions of Sonar 1 which are going for peanuts now. Just make sure you can register it. You will then get all the benefits of DX instruments etc