Problems with exporting

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
Jen

Post by Jen » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:13 pm

I've only got Cakewalk a couple of weeks ago, and I can record and use the functions all fine and dandy-like, except that I just can't seem to export files.

I want to be able to save some of my recordings in mp3 or .wav format, and I've been following the instructions in the manual, but no matter what I do in the way of highlighting the piece etc, whenever I go to File-Export Audio, the Export Audio button is unclickable, which is... confusing, to say the least.

Can anybody cast any light on the matter?

Special-K

Post by Special-K » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:45 pm

Am replying from my work PC so cant remember exactly, but isnt this just a case of highlighting the track first of all so CW knows what to export.

Am pretty sure if you highlight the audio track first the File/Export Audio
option is no longer greyed out.

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:50 pm

It's not midi tracks you want to export is it? If so they have to be bounced down to audio first.

If it is audio then bounce all the individual tracks to one stereo track in Cakewalk. Solo it but make sure that none of the tracks are highlighted in any way. Then you should be able to export. If the button is still greyed out click some where in the track pane in a blank area and try again.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:07 pm

andychap wrote:It's not midi tracks you want to export is it? If so they have to be bounced down to audio first.

If it is audio then bounce all the individual tracks to one stereo track in Cakewalk. Solo it but make sure that none of the tracks are highlighted in any way. Then you should be able to export. If the button is still greyed out click some where in the track pane in a blank area and try again.
It is a midi track yeah - what do you mean about bouncing it to audio first? I don't know how to do that... :oops:

I did solo the track that I wanted to export and highlighted it, but your explanation sounds like the most plausible.. I'll see if I can work out how to do it. Thankyou! :)

Jen

Post by Jen » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:08 pm

Anonymous wrote:
andychap wrote:It's not midi tracks you want to export is it? If so they have to be bounced down to audio first.

It is a midi track yeah - what do you mean about bouncing it to audio first? I don't know how to do that... :oops:

I did solo the track that I wanted to export and highlighted it, but your explanation sounds like the most plausible.. I'll see if I can work out how to do it. Thankyou! :)
That was actually me, I just forgot to sign in. D'oh!

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:12 pm

Bouncing your MIDI track to AUDIO means inserting a new AUDIO track, arming it for recording, then playing your MIDI track and have CW record it. You are taking the output of the sound card and sending it back to the input of the sound card, thus looping your sound.

Now you will be able to export the midi file as an audio file.

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:43 pm

Or if you are using Sonar and have the VSC DXi. Open an audio track and inset the VSC in the FX bin. Set the out put on your midi tracks to the VSC and then the whole file will play back through this virtual instrument.

The go to edit menu and select bounce to tracks this will then convert all the tracks to one stereo ausio file within the computer in a fraction of the time. Then solo and export as you were doing before.

Jen

Post by Jen » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:25 am

That's brilliant! Thanks to everybody for their help :)