importing & exporting sound problems, bit depth question

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
jrdn

Post by jrdn » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:49 pm

hi, i have a few issues with sonar 2.2 XL that i hope someone can clear up... first of all, when i have an audio file to import (say a sample from fruity loops or something) when i import it into sonar, the tempo/pitch gets changed... i think this has something to do with the midi settings maybe? i never use any midi functions, i only record audio, is there any way to disbale all of that tempo stuff in sonar? secondly, this problem just started occurring, but it could be a setting or something i changed: when i have a song and i export it as a wave, when i listen to the wave, there is a noticeable, um, i would call it "distorted echo" maybe, a kind of ringing in the wav file, even though if i play the tracks in sonar everything is crystal clear, so it definitely isn't a plugin or anything... and last, i have a 24 bit soundcard, but i only record in 16 bit; what should my audio driver bit depth, file bit depth, and sampling rate be set on? what is the difference between audio driver bit depth and file bit depth? if you can help with any of these questions, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks...

-jordan

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:12 pm

If audio files imported into Cakewalk sound like you describe there is a problem with your sample rate. This has nothing to do with midi.

Make sure your samples are the same rate as the project you are working in.

If you don't want the 'tempo stuff' simply turn off the metronome and ignore the tempo field.

Your export problem sounds like a bit rate problem or sample rate problem.

If you're not sure of sample rates and conversion and plan on making audio cds, you'll save headaches (and disc space) by recording at 16/44.1

There is some debate as to the increased high end that 24/48 gives - but if you don't know how to properly convert the files back to 16/44.1 your final product will sound bad.

Good Luck!

jrdn

Post by jrdn » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:52 am

awesome man, changing the sample rate back down fixed all that.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:02 am

Turn off "Acidized" in Fruityloops when you export, and the audio will be on the right tempo on Sonar