auto accompaniment on keyboard

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
harleydyna

Post by harleydyna » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:36 am

I can record single notes played on my keyboard. I need to record the auto-acc. feature also. i read the tutorial, but haven't had any success. Amoung the things I've tried is recording in midi omni or into diff channels. The display on the keyboard shows which channels the accom. is playing thru, and I tried recording one part (channel) 9 into channel 9 on the pc. Still, I'm not getting anything coming thru except separate notes when I play them Any help out there

Special-K

Post by Special-K » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:51 pm

What keyboard you got?

I've got an old Yamaha PSR-300 and the manual says the rhythm is not output to the MIDI interface (although I'm sure I've achieved this with my old Amiga a long time ago).

harleydyna

Post by harleydyna » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:36 am

I got a md 1200 optimus keyboard from radio shack. It's got a lot of fetures. I also have my post in 'anything midi' part of the forum. See that for more info.....

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:36 am

Easiest way to check is to create 16 midi tracks and set all channels 1-16 the same as the tracks and all midi inputs the same. Arm all the tracks and set your sync to midi. The start playing and see if it picks the midi data. If it doesn't then your keyboard is not outputting the auto stuff only the manual stuff. You might find it outputs it all on one channel at least then you will find out which one.

It might not sound to clever if it does record. On my Yamaha PSR 290 it sounds a bit choppy but with some careful editing you can get something useable.

harleydyna

Post by harleydyna » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:23 am

testing quickly

harleydyna

Post by harleydyna » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:30 am

andychaps,,,,thanks a lot for the advice...unfortunately...still doesn't want to record. I tried everything you suggested but..... All 16 channels showed no input while playing auto accomp. The keyboard puts the accomp in channels 7 8 9 10. 10 is the drums. I do have a drum keypad which records into MC 3 with no problem on channel 10, looks like my keyboard won't put out midi-wise what I want it to do. I was able to silence channel 8 9 10 and record, but it still recorded nothing. Other notes are outputted on channel 1 and record ok. I guess I could record thru my mic to MC3, but then I lose all the cool editing fetures from MC3.

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:55 am

I think this is something to do with your keyboard. I you look at page 45 of your manual it says that you have to turn off the GM feature in order for the keyboard to send the chord data as midi.

This looks to me as though you will have to record you auto accomapniment parts seperately and then turn the GM feature back on to record your melody.

I would also try transmitting any sysex midi data because this will also help in the structuring of the chords in the sequencer.

That's all I can think of.