Instruments changing

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
Andy A

Post by Andy A » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:05 pm

I use Cakewalk ProAudio 9 with my Yamaha PSR8000.
I have recently experienced intermittent problems which I hope someone can help me resolve.
1. On playback with "Grand Piano" selected,
the sound changed, after 16 bars, to "Midi Grand".
2. With "Strings" selected, I was recording on another track, and after I had played 4 notes, the sound changed to "Harp".
3. Sometimes a "chorus" or "echo" effect will be applied to a track without any input from me.
Although I have been using Cakewalk (only in a very basic form) successfully for some time, I still consider myself a MIDI beginner.
Hope someone can help.
Regards
Andy A

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:55 pm

Andy, what kind of track is it? Meaning, did you load, or download it, or is in one you created from scratch.

I know sometimes when I "import" or "open" a MIDI file, I get a warning saying there are "system commands" or words to that effect. Which in essence is saying that the MIDI file will be talking to a specific device that I do not have hooked up.

Try copying the track but take the event only, nothing else and drop it in to a fresh MIDI track. If you play it, it should be general midi piano. Change it to one of the Synth's, like Goblins or something else and see if the whole track plays without changing.

This is just a SWAG from acorss the pond. Good luck.

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:56 pm

It sounds like you have some rogue patch changes in the track, common with the sysex that the PSR series send to the PC.

Highlight the track and set the track at the beginning. Go to the insert menu and select bank/patch change. Insert the bank and patch you require in the boxes.

Next open the event list in the view menu and start scrolling down the list. Any unusual patch changes should be in orange. Any that you find, double click on the instrument so that the same dialogue box comes up as before and change it back to the instrument you require. There probably is a way to remove the rogue patch changes but I haven't found out yet.

Andy A

Post by Andy A » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:49 pm

Thanks Brian and andychap for your replies.
Brian, the tracks in question were started from scratch by me. I recorded the melody(Grand Piano),using the block harmony, and the auto accompaniment onto the PSR8000 sequencer. It was then transferred from floppy disk to Cakewalk with the intention of adding additional instruments and editing the accomp. section. I wonder if this method may have caused some problems.
Anyway thanks to you both for your help, I will try what you suggest.
Regards
Andy