Another rookie with no sound...

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:10 pm

Mac OS 9.2.2
QuickTime 6.0.3
No external MIDI equipment

Maybe I'm not using the program the way it was intended.
I'm simply trying to open an existing MIDI file with CW, remove a few of the instrument tracks, and place in my own clicks (to keep timing while playing along with an acoustic guitar).
I open a New file, than Import MIDI File. The notes are present in the graphic editor and the file is displayed in the tracks window. When I press play all of the interface graphics indicate that the file is playing, however I hear no sound.
Will this program use QuickTime Musical Instruments (or other) for playback, or do I need external equipment?

Thanks
Vince

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:43 pm

Vince,

You may not have told CW where to send the audio. You will need to go to Options|Audio to tell CW what card to use. I have Sonar and the Options are just a little different, so once you get there, look around for you audio output.

You don't need anything special to listen to MIDI files. If your already has sound and you can hear sounds, then you are set. Just tell CW where to send the audio.

Good luck

khdavis

Post by khdavis » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:13 am

i have this problem too. i think its something with my soundcard. how do I use more midi output devices so that I can hear audio playback?

khdavis

Post by khdavis » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:14 am

i have this problem too. i think its something with my soundcard. how do I use more midi output devices so that I can hear audio playback?