session drummer problem

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
bioelectronicsam

Post by bioelectronicsam » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:24 am

I hope this is an easy question, when I record the session drummer on creator 2003 the first beat of every sequence is substatially louder than the other beats, ( so if my drum beat is in 4 bar patters than every fourth bar's first beat sucks)
Is there a setting I'm missing or something because when I listen to the session drummer as a MIDI track I don't notice this at all, it's only after I put it on an audio track. thanks

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:47 am

You will probably find that you have the metronome mixed in with your drum beats and that accentuates the first beat of every bar. Try disabling the metronome or setting it for record only in the Project options menu.

bioelectronicsam

Post by bioelectronicsam » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:05 am

thanks for the tip Andy, however that doesn't solve my problem, I've got all of the metronome settings disabled, it's weird that the loud beat follows the programmed drum pattern, whether it's a 3, 4, or even 1 measure pattern, the first beat of the sequence, not every measure, is the extra loud one????

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:47 am

That is strange. Are you applying the session drummer effect to the midi track before recording to audio or are you letting session drummer play along with your track as you record the audio. If you have applied session drummer as a midi effect then you could open the track in the piano roll and see if you can see what is going on there.

It would be easiest to see if you open the velocity pane of the piano roll then you would be able to see any spikes in velocity at the beginning of every section and then you could use the pencil tool to redraw the velocity of these hits before recording to audio. It's not a solution but more of a way round the problem.

bioelectronicsam

Post by bioelectronicsam » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:37 pm

Andy, thanks again for the response.

No, I have not been applying the session drummer to the MIDI track first, I don't know how to do it? I can't find any help files anywhere on it, I've tried hitting record while letting it play on the MIDI track but I get nothing, if this is where my problem is can you give me a suggestion (also can you recommend a decent resource for people just starting with cakewalk) Thanks.

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:44 pm

Usually, once you have got your session drummer playing the loops and fills you want and set all your track details like channel 10 etc. Highlight the track and go to either the edit or process menu and click apply midi effect. You might be able to right click the track and select apply midi effect as well it depends on what cakewalk software you have.

This will then write out the whole track, for as long as your other instruments are playing, with the fills and loops from session drummer.

Try visiting the Cakewalk site itself to see if there are any tutorials etc that be of help.

Also I contribute to a magazine each month called ComputerMusic. Easily available in the UK and about a month behind in the states although if you subscribe you get it early. There are quite a few of these style mags out now and they are often a wealth of knowledge.

bioelectronicsam

Post by bioelectronicsam » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:46 am

Andy, even when I apply the midi track then record it over to an audio track I still get the same thing, I looked at it in the piano roll and saw nothing amiss, however I found that the crash on the first beat was causing the snare and what ever else is being hit to sound louder, I pulled the crash out and everything else was normal. Any more suggestions?