Midi Device Selection

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
rene17au

Post by rene17au » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:57 am

Hi,
I have just starting using Cakewalk (not even 6 months yet) and I am glad that I find this site. You could classify me as a very, very beginner. In the future, without any doubt, I will be posting more requests to you. However I have a problem right now which is slowing my learning. I have recently purchased a Roland digital piano EP760 and I have not been able to get it to communicate with Cakewalk. I select tools/devices, but can not find my piano on the list. Only External 401. I connected my piano via a midi in/out cable to the game connector at the back of my computer.
I use a Pentium 4 with a 1.7 CPU and 512MB ram. My question is do have to install a driver to be able to communicate. My piano's manual suggests that all have to do is to connect the cable to the game port.
If anyone can help, it will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Rene17au

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:18 am

Just make sure you have the leads the right way round, midi out from the PC to midi in on the piano and out on the piano to in on the PC. Select the external 401 in both the midi inputs and midi outputs and it should communicate.

Make sure there is no setting on the piano that needs to be changed, such as local on/off or PC mode etc.

It doesn't look like there is an instrument definition around for it but if it's a DP then I shouldn't imagine it will have many voices to use.