sample rate

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
adrian

Post by adrian » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:00 pm

hi

have just rigged up my new mia sound card to sonar 3. it worked for a bit, and then i found that everythime i played back, hte sound would be distorted and slow.

i had set the sample rate to 96,000 on both my sound card and the sonar audio settings.

is there something obvious that i've done wrong?

thanks
adrian

adrian

Post by adrian » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:45 am

since i posted this message i tried reducing the smaple rate to 44k - this helped a bit but i still get a lot of dropout (after a few seconds of audio recording). i tried incresing the buffer queue to 4, from 2. this hasn't helped either. i closed all other programs from the taskbar and defragmented the hard-drive.

i have loaded new drivers for the card.

i have a pentium 4 processor and 512MB RAM, so wasn't really expecting this type of problem.

any thoughts?? : :cry:

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:53 pm

Normally increasing the bit rate and sample rate to 24/96000 woukd help with the performance of your system.

Also try increasing the size of the buffer. I do not know how your card works but on mine a buffer of 512 at 24/96 would give me latency of 11ms which is still very usable and rock steady performance.

If this is an old project you are loading in then you might have to convert it within sonar to match you card settings. If it was recorded on a creative card or onboard card you will find that it is probably set at 16/44,1 and it will actually be 16/48 because these cheap cards are set at 48k and they reprocess the signal to make it sound better. Your new card will not be expecting to have to resample the sound.

There should be options in the menu to convert audio type to adjust the bit rate and resample to convert it to 96,000.

Remember when you are using 24/96 your file sizes will be a lot bigger so make sure you have plenty of space on your HD and keep it well defragged.

adrian

Post by adrian » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:29 am

hi

thanks for the advice. i'll try again.

i have found that when i set the sample rate to 96k, a funny thing happens when i record audio:

the cursor moves across the screen faster than the sound is being recorded. then, when i play it back, it comes out slow and distorted. the only way i've managed to record anything is at 44k. does this make any sense?

adrian

adrian

Post by adrian » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:17 am

hmmm

have just switched over to ASIO drivers in the audio options dialogue. things seem to work now at 24/96.

not entirely sure what ASIO is (!), but will investigate..... do i still get all the advantages of WDM using this mode?

adrian

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:10 pm

Yes probably more, some cards have better ASIO support then WDM.

If it works then use them.