What computer to buy?

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
whking

Post by whking » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:03 am

My 13-yr-old son has been using Home Studio for about 4 months, and seems to be doing great stuff. We are in the market for a PC, and I'd like some advice on how to equip it to be optimized for Home Studio, and possibly a future upgrade to Sonar. Thanks in advance. whking@aol.com

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:14 am

A couple of places if you are in the UK.

http://www.nusystems.co.uk/cat-catalogue.asp?b=10

http://www.carillondirect.com/clnweb/cl ... country=UK This site offer PC's optimized around the software that you want to use. Seeing as your son is familiar with Cakewalk Home Studio I would take a look at the Sonar Foundation kit which includes Sonar 3 and Audiotrak prodigy card and midi interface.

I would definately go for something that is geared towards Audio and not off the shelf in a Computer store. Pentium or AMD processor, at least 512 mb RAM, 80 Gb 7200 rpm hard drive, quiet fans and a pro quality soundcard (ie not of the creative or similar style) are the most important things to consider. Then look at Screen size 17" minimum, 19 or 21" preferred. You already own a computer so the screen from that could be used in a dual monitor set up with a dual head graphics card.

Or the other option is to build one your self :wink:

whking

Post by whking » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:17 pm

thanks for the great advice!

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:50 pm

Your welcome :D

Hope you find what you are looking for. Don't forget to come back and tell us what you get, make us all jealous :wink:

Don't forget to let your son know, if he has any problems with HS he can always ask here and we will try and help him the best we can.

Axeman

Post by Axeman » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:00 am

Okay, I run my own Custom PC business, so I'd really like to help here. As a Sonar 3 user, I would have to say that creating your OWN system is the best way to go to get the best bang for your buck. I can easily help you create a Sonar monster for a LOT less than you think and ship it right to your door. Let me explain.

My company, Custom Computers of Virginia, is a small home business based in Richmond, Virginia. I build HAND BUILT computers made to YOUR specifications for a LOT less than any major manufacturer. I do this by buying directly off the web from wholesale distributors. Bottom line....I can MAKE you a better PC for your money.

If your son has been working with Home Studio, and appears to be making strides, I would seriously consider investing in a Computer that can help him make the jump to bigger and better things. Sonar 3 is the next step up, and can go way beyond Home Studio in terms of capabilities.
I would recomend a machine with at least a 2.4-2.8Ghz Hyperthreading processor. Sonar 3 takes advantage of the power of the Hyperthreading processor, and allows for a LOT more tracks, effects, etc. I would also recomend using either a SATA (Serial ATA) hard drive, or at the least, an ATA100 drive with an *8Mb Cache*. These drives allows for slightly better throughput performance which equals more tracks.

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is, I could build you such a rig, minus the monitor, for under $1,200.00(thats a rough estimate depending on what you want). And that would include a 52x CD Burner to burn his creations straight to disk. I would be happy to discuss the details and any questions you might have.

Here is my website: www.ccv.vze.com It has my contact information. Please feel free to call or email me and we can discuss it directly. I GARANTEE I can build you a better computer for less money. I have a long list of happy customers and can provide refrences if needed.

I can tell you from my own experience that my 3Ghz Hyperthreading rig is simply awesome when it comes to music production. Sonar 3 runs like butter on it, and I have no problems working with 20-40 tracks with plenty of effects, and I have plug ins out the wazoo.

Feel free to contact me directly if you like to discuss it further.

Axeman

James M. Meyerhoffer
CEO
Custom Computers of Virginia