DirectX 9 problems

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Sat May 01, 2004 8:54 pm

I just bought bought a new Dell XPS with Windows XP Home. It appears that the computer comes with DirectX 9 installed. I tried to install Sonar but I cant because it says I need to download DirectX 8.1. Well I managed to get sonar working by downloading a file form cakewalk.com but then I couldnt start my computer up. I did a system restore but I need to know how I can even install Sonar 2.0XL This is really frustrating and I am tempted to just return the system so any suggestions would be really appreciated.

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun May 02, 2004 9:40 am

There is a registry tip somewhere on the forum. If you go into the registry and change the entry for Direct X 9 to DIrect X 8 then install Sonar. Before you reboot go back into the registry and change it back to 9 and then reboot.

Edit: Here it is.
Guest wrote:You can solve this problem by opening regedit by clicking on run on the start menu and typeing in regedit
in the directory structure on your left browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/DIRECTX

Double click on version in the right hand panel and copy the value to a text editor or write it down

replace the value with 4.08.01.0810

run the setup program
cakewalk sonar should install

after installation goback to the registry editor and change the value back to the number it was before. this will probably be something like 4.09.00.0900 but may be different depending on when you downloaded directx 9.0

MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Sun May 02, 2004 1:35 pm

nice...thx for the reply, helped a lot