Midiman 2x2, audio and midi

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Sun May 02, 2004 8:54 pm

I know I've been posting a lot of topics but I'lll get rid of older ones...Anyway, I finally got everything working okay. I did find a problem though. When I try to convert my MIDI to audio I only get good levels for audio when I choose the sundcard in my computer as my output and for some reason, when I do so, the soundcard only plays general MIDI sounds through my PC speakers. Now I did forget to transfer my Instrument Definitions for my ROland RS-5 form my old computer so I might not have to right Bank number for the definition I made. Anyway, whenever I choose my midi device(midiman midisport 2x2) as my output it plays the roland instruments fine through other speakers that are set up. Not sure what I should do to ge the levels working with the midiman as my output or if I even can...thanks to anyone who replies.

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon May 03, 2004 2:32 am

You might find that the line out levels are a little weak on your synth. They will probaly be set at -10db which is consumer rating. A small mixer would compensate for this or a soundcard with switchable pro/consumer settings.

I can't remember which soundcard you have but to test if this is the case try plugging the Roland into the Mic socket on the soundcard and see if the levels increase. If the levels do increase then it is low line out levels on the Roland. You will probaly find that the quality on the mic input is not very good so I wouldn't advise using it for actual recording.

To overcome this problem I bought a small Behringer mixer, they are very cheap.

MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Mon May 03, 2004 7:05 pm

I will let you know what happens when I plug in my keyboard tot he mic slot but before that, if I were to mbuy a micer liek you said, how would I set it up with my other instruments? (A Roland RS-5, a Midiman 2x2, and a Edirol PCR-50. Also, I have an SB Audigy 2 soundcard) How much does a cheap mixer cost and is there any way to avoid having to buy one? I was thinking that once I got my bank numbers correct for my instrument definitions for the Roland it would work fine because right now when I choose the SB Audigy 2 as my output, it only palys general midi.

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon May 03, 2004 10:37 pm

The Ins files for your synths will sort out the patches problem but it won't do anything about low input levels.

You could try using the headphone socket if there is one on the synth, into the line in on the Audigy then you will be able to increase volume from the synth volume control.

MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Tue May 04, 2004 12:04 am

Im guessing that I need a special plug that goes from my keyboard to the mic on my computer? I can probably find one witht he right connection thingys over at Radioshack so i'll try that. If I have no other choice ill look into one of those cheap mixers and see if that works. I'd rally rather not get one if I dont need to. You said that my keyboard comes with a customer setting of -10 db? Is there a way to change that or should I just look around in the manual for that?

andychap

Post by andychap » Tue May 04, 2004 10:00 am

You could have a look in the manual, it might tell you what the line out levels are. My Yamaha Keyboard has low line out levels but once it is fed through my mixer it feeds into my sound card at +4db which is pro level.

This is the one I have

it is no longer produced and has been succeeded by this one

I believe it costs $69.

http://www.behringer.com/UB802/index.cfm?lang=ENG

MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Tue May 04, 2004 12:30 pm

Okay, thx for the replies and all the help. Ill look into getting a mixer but I would like to avoid buying any new hardware. I'll look in the manual on how to plug the keyboard into the mic....thx again

andychap

Post by andychap » Tue May 04, 2004 3:25 pm

MagusCT wrote:Okay, thx for the replies and all the help. Ill look into getting a mixer but I would like to avoid buying any new hardware. I'll look in the manual on how to plug the keyboard into the mic....thx again
No, don't plug the keyboard into the mic socket on the audigy. Use the headphone socket on the keyboard and plug it into the line in socket on the audigy (not mic).

You will only need a lead with small stereo jacks at each end and an adaptor to a large jack at the keyboard end.

You see, using the RCA or phono line out on the keyboard the signal is fixed at a certain level because you would normally adjust the volume on the item you are plugging it into ie. amplifier.

By using a headphone socket you then have control over the strength of the signal with the volume control on the keyboard. You might not have to turn it up much.

The mic socket on the audigy will only be mono and the input will be very noisy because it is only designed for multi media mics not proper audio gear.

MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Tue May 04, 2004 9:51 pm

Wow, thx for all the help....Not sure what the hell I'd be doin without you....anyway, Im gonna get that plug and try what you said but first I gotta fix some stuff on my comp. One of my hardware pieces is not working with Windows XP and I am in the process of figuring out which one it is. Thanks again for the help.

Barrymac

Post by Barrymac » Fri May 21, 2004 5:58 pm

Andychap: A comment about the Behringer mixer. I have one also and love the mic preamp (quiet as a mouse!), but the outputs hum horribly when i put them thru my powered monitors (M-Audio). Any suggestions?

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat May 22, 2004 12:53 am

Barrymac wrote:Andychap: A comment about the Behringer mixer. I have one also and love the mic preamp (quiet as a mouse!), but the outputs hum horribly when i put them thru my powered monitors (M-Audio). Any suggestions?
It could be a lot of things that causes hum. The most common one is ground hum which is associated with the power supply. Make sure the speaker cables are not running along side mains cables, if you have them both in the same area make sure they cross at right angles.

What type of connectors are on the monitors. If they are 1/4 in jacks then try using balanced cables.

Where on the mixer do you connect the monitors?