Compatibility qeustions

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Thu May 06, 2004 9:50 pm

I just got a dell and loaded with XP Home and went through a terrible ecperience. Nothing seemed to work so I am shipping it back and am looking at new computers from Alienware.
I was told that XP Pro is much more stable than XP Home. Besides that I need to know about some compatibility issues. I am going to be using a midisport 2x2, an Edirol PCR-50, and a Roland RS-5 with Sonar 2.0XL. First off, I want to make sure that Sonar 2.0XL is compatible with Windows XP Pro. For the Edirol PCR-50 I need to know if the drivers are compatible with XP as well. The CD doesnt have a driver version on it so I am not sure if I should use these drivers or download new ones. The same thing goes for the midisport drivers.
If I need to get new drivers then does anyone recommend just downloading them? Thanks for the help

andychap

Post by andychap » Fri May 07, 2004 8:41 am

All your gear should be XP compatible but you should really check the websites for latest releases though.

I wouldn't have though that Pro would have been any more stable than Home really it's just the same but with the extra network features.

I see you are using Sonar 2.0 XL. 2.0 was really very buggy and unstable, you would be a lot better downloading the 2.1 and 2.2 updates. They iron out a lot of the problems and also provide ASIO support. There are also various other patches that should be added to get full functionality.

That could have been the source of some of your problems but Dells are notorious for problems especially in the Digital Audio area.

MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Fri May 07, 2004 11:07 am

Thanks for the help...I'll probably download the patches and see what happens.. Thanks again.