Server 2003 and Sonar 3 +SB Audigy = PROBLEMS!!!

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
Axeman

Post by Axeman » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:47 am

Okay, I would like to run Server 2003 with Sonar 3 as it is considerably more efficient than 2K and XP. It is noticably faster in almost every aspect. One problem however is.....I want to use my SB Audigy card, and Creative doesn't make a dedicated driver for Server 2003!!! Can you believe that?

They tell you to use the XP driver, but it isn't stable enough, and my breakout box doesn't work properly with the XP driver. I have a third party driver from a group called "The Kx Project" that makes a driver for the Ensoniq chipset on the Audigy cards, but I dont know a lot about it. It claims compatibility, but I would prefer a Creative driver. Whats the deal with No driver for Server 2003??? It makes no sense to me NOT to have a driver for one of the most dominant Sound cards on the planet for Server 2003.

Anyone got suggestions? I really would like to use it for playback, and my breakout box for the occasional punch in or overdub. HELP!

andychap

Post by andychap » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:09 am

Is there a WDM driver that you can use for the Audigy and then use the ASIO4ALL drivers in conjunction with them. They always seem quite reliable.

The KX Drivers have improved over the years, they were pretty flakey but a lot of people now swear by them now so they might be worth trying.

I suppose it's horses for courses really. Not much need for a soundcard on a server is there?

Axeman

Post by Axeman » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:02 pm

Well, I know.....yer right, but still.....a lack of a driver for a Flagship soundcard on a flagship OS to me is kind of just ridiculous. So I take it you are familiar with the Kx Project drivers based on what you said.....one of my biggest concerns is still having the functionality of the Creative Surround Mixer in Server 2003. Getting the Tascam to place nice in it could be another beast altogether, but there is enough of a difference in Server 2003's performance level that I'd love to use it if it is remotely feasable. I just need a stable sound driver first and foremost. The first time I tried it, I'd be in the middle of recording and the system would reboot at random....which is always fun (HA!)

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:27 pm

I think the KX drivers comes with a mixer set up so that you can do evrything you can with the creative mixer.

Lets us know how you get on, it's an intresting project.

Axeman

Post by Axeman » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:52 am

Well, I think the best bet at this point is to do a trial run with a backup hard drive. I'll install Server 2003 on a 40Gb drive and use the Kx Projext drivers and see what I encounter. After further research, I have good reason to believe that the Kx drivers may prove to be a solid alternative. The BIG question is, will the Tascam FW1884 work in the Server OS???? For some odd reason I DOUBT IT! LOL But we'll see what happens with the KX stuff first.

none

Post by none » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:00 pm

You are running Sonar music program on the server machine??? I don't see any sense to do it.
Otherwise, all people would schwitch to 2003 if it is better
Run just 2k, it is much better, take less power than XP or 2003.

All best

http://razmatranje.port5.com

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:26 pm

You're going to run into this problem with other devices besides your sound card. I know that many companies are not making drivers to support 2003 server.

You may be able to get common devices (NIC cards, etc...) to workl with generic drivers, but for specialized cards (like my Universal Audio and MOTU cards) it's not going to happen.