Post-recording effects problem - Please help...

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
Jess

Post by Jess » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:19 am

Hi all. Can any of your hyper talented kids out there help me with a little recording problem ?

I have been recording with my Audigy Platinum 2 (including live drive n such) and Cakewalk Home Studio 2002 for about a year now, and never really had any troubles.

However, I just re-installed the machine, and wouldn't you know it I seem to have inherited a problem.

I record realtime audio straight from instruments and Mic's, and it records fine (now that I have profiled my hardware etc.)... However, when I come to add post production effects to the track (reverb for instance - which is crucial cos I'm recording voice and guitar straight into the PC with no amps or pre-amp effects) I get a fault on the track.

It's a spike. An annoying squealing blip, which occurs regularly along the recording. About 10-15 seconds apart usually, for the whole length of the track I tried to apply effects to. When I undo the reverb or whatever it disappears again.

I don't really know what the problem is cos I've never seen this before. It's the same hardware, and the same software installation. It happens with native cakewalk reverb, and soundforge plugin reverbs (which are much nicer), and I don't really know enough about sound hardware profiling to start debugging it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cos I have a friend coming to do some recording on the weekend *grin*

Thanks in advance.
Jess.

kentothink

Post by kentothink » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:43 pm

Um...are you sure your cakewalk is legal?

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:36 pm

It sounds like the reverbs are in a demo mode or something. I know with my Soundforge plugins, they work fine in Soundforge but if I try to use them as 3rd party plugins in Sonar then they come up as demo's.

Try finding a free reverb plugin and using that. If the problem is still there then the problem is with HS if not then it is a problem with the plugins. A good reverb to try is Magnus Ambience at http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/. It is donation ware and while using it as a demo it only shows a nag screen at the start up, there are no artifacts left in the recording.

I remember in Sonar 2.2 the Cakewalk Reverb always used to crash Sonar when I used it, maybe it is a common problem.

jess

Post by jess » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:05 pm

Yes the Cakewalk is legal. Like I said same software as I was using before the re-install which had no such problems.

I downloaded the plugins and I can't remember where from so I couldn't say.

I will try those downloads though. Many many thanks.