Easy question from a newbie . . .

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
MikeN

Post by MikeN » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:33 am

I've only just started using home studio 2002 XL (and haven't used any music software before so everything is new at the moment!).

I have an M-Audio Ozone keyboard plugged into it via USB and there are 2 questions associated with this:

1. I Seem to get a message coming up everytime telling me that my M-Audio drivers are not 'approved' for Cakewalk. It works fine and the manual says that this is because they are relatively new. It would be nice to be able to do away with the irritating message though.

2. I Want to record guitar and vocals through the Ozone. This should be possible but I'm having a few problems connecting things up so that the audio is reaching Cakewalk to be recorded.

Everything is trial and error for me at the moment so any help is appreciated ;-)

Cheers

Mike

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:27 pm

I am assuming that you are using the Audio outputs of the M-Audio and not the MIDI outputs. Your Audio Out should go to either the MIC IN or LINE IN on your sound card. If you are doing this, I appologise for assuming you don't have it that way.

Then the only other thing would be to make sure your LINE IN or MIC IN on the PC is active. You need to check:

Programs|Accessories|Entertainment|Volume Control and select Options|Properties. Click on Recording and select OK. Then make sure either the LINE IN or MICROPHONE is selected. I would recommend LINE IN as I believe that M-Audio is using Line Level signals.

Good Luck

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:56 am

Hi Brian

Thanks for the response.

Your assumptions are correct. I am using the audio outputs in the way that you describe but still with no luck.

I'm running on a laptop and the soundcard doesn't have a line in so I've been trying with the mic socket but the best I can achieve is some horrible feedback noise, and even that doesn't get recorded to a track. The mic socket seems to be working with a stadard mic but not with a signal from the Ozone.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Mike

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:01 pm

A few things come to mind. Lets go back to checking that the proper input is selected on the PC. This is just a repeat from above and if already confirmed, just skip it.
  • Programs|Accessories|Entertainment|Volume Control and select Options|Properties.
  • Click on Recording and select OK.
  • Make sure either the LINE IN or MICROPHONE is selected.
  • I would recommend LINE IN as I believe that M-Audio is using Line Level signals.
Now onward to Cakewalk.

Create an audio track by inserting or selecting on that is available. If you need to create one;
  • Right click inside the track name area.
  • Select Insert Audio Track
This should create an Audio track for your use. If the track is not expanded, you have two icon to expand the track on the top bar of the track next to M S R [] [].

Below the VOL you should see IN and below that OUT. Double click IN and select your audio source. It should be your sound card in the LapTop. Mine reads Advance AC97 Audio. Yours may read differently.

Now arm the track by clicking the R at the top of the track. It should turn RED. You can now press the R key on the keyboard to start recording something. When you are done, press the SPACEBAR to end the recording.

The results if you are successful will be what looks like a wave form in the track. That should be the recorded audio.

Now the reason you are getting squealing in the mic input is the levels are too high on the M-Audio. Microphone inputs like to see low level signals, not line level signals. You will need to get some kind of converter from high level to low level signals. Not sure what is out there.

Are you 100% positive about your laptop not have a LINE IN? Most PCs have three 1/8" jacks; SPKR - LINE - MIC. Never heard of a PC with just two.

Hope this helps, Good luck.

MikeN

Post by MikeN » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:21 am

Thanks for the response. I'll check everything out tonight when I get home and let you know how it goes (temporarily without internet access at home ;-(

I'm pretty sure I don't have a line-in btw. but I'll double check - it's a Sony Vaio with 3 jacks - video out, mic in and hadphones.

Cheers

Mike

MikeN

Post by MikeN » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:59 am

OK, here's what happens . . .

1. I've double checked for a line-in socket and it's definately a no.

2. I get the feedback when I use the soundcard input on the audit track where it's set to stereo. If I use just the left or right channel I get no feedback over the speakers during recording, but all it records is feedback.
All controls (guitar and ozone) are set to minimum and I still get the feedback.

3. I tried the guitar through the amp, plucgging the line-out from the amp to the mic on the soundcard. This gives less feedback and the guitar does come through, although there's a serious time lag.

Thanks for your patience. Hope I'm not coming across as too thick here ... I did say I was a newbie ;-)

Cheers

Mike

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:25 pm

I really am out of ideas here Mike. I wonder if the PC speakers are causing the feedback. There is also the possiblility that the LapTop is causing the lag in audio.

Wish I could be of more help.

MikeN

Post by MikeN » Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:52 am

No problem, thanks for your time. I'm sure after extensive buggering around I'll sort it eventually ;-)

I'm going to get hold of a mic and try mic-ing the amp. See if I can do it that way.

Cheers

Mike

jj

Post by jj » Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:47 am

hey man since you got an amp 4 live sound try lookin at your input monitoring.

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:04 am

Good point jj.

Mike, look to see if Input Monitoring is active. That will cause you great brain-pain as it just recently did me.

Options|Audio|Input Monitoring

If the soundcard is highlighted, this could cause a feedback and poor audio as I found out. Click on it once to remove the highlight, then click "ok". Try recording again and see if that helps.

Good luck my friend.

MikeN

Post by MikeN » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:19 pm

Hmm, not sure I've checked this yet. I'll try it tonight when I get home.

I have managed to get some stuff recording now but still have a few problems, specifically with latency volume.

Cheers

Mike

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:59 pm

hey mike, can you please email me some instructions as to how you finally got the thing to record. i would appreciate it. thanks
stryfe007@aol.com

jeffman88201@yahoo.com

Post by jeffman88201@yahoo.com » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:07 pm

:( i'm trying to understand how to use this hardware compressor (3630 aliesis) with cakewalk home studio 2002. I have it hooked up right but i cannot get cake walk to respond to it. i do not know how to use the aux for the channels i want to compress. Does anyone know how to do this. I do not have the cakewalk extensive manual to figure it out.

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:41 pm

jeffman88201@yahoo.com wrote::( i'm trying to understand how to use this hardware compressor (3630 aliesis) with cakewalk home studio 2002. I have it hooked up right but i cannot get cake walk to respond to it. i do not know how to use the aux for the channels i want to compress. Does anyone know how to do this. I do not have the cakewalk extensive manual to figure it out.
What exactly are you expecting Cakewalk to do.

The aux/sends in software sequencers are generally for software plugin effects unless you have a multi input/output soundcard.

To use your compressor it would be best used in line from the output of your sound card and then feed the output of the compressor to the input on the soundcard. In effect you are sending the signal out of Cakewalk inserting the compression and sending it back in. Compressors work best as insert effects. Use the aux/sends for non dynamic effects like chorus, reverb etc where you want to mix a proportion of the original signal with the modified signal.