Saving as .mid issues

Use this forum to discuss Midi Issues as they relate to Cakewalk.
MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:32 pm

I have a problem with saving my projects as .mid files. When I try to save my MIDI files as .mid files as opposed to cwp or cwb files, it results in all the instruments changing to General Midi instruments. What can I do to fix this problem?

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:40 am

.mid is (by default) a general midi file format. There may be a way to remedy this, but you may want to include a text file saying what your settings (sounds) are to the person you are sending the file to.

MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:31 pm

But even if I send the file there as a general midi format, he doesnt have sonar or anything installed to change it back to the original sounds or fix it.......Unles I'm just missing something

MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:31 pm

But even if I send the text file, he doesnt have sonar or anything installed to change it back to the original sounds or fix it.......Unles I'm just missing something

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:48 pm

You used to be able (again I am talking about back in the OMS/Vision days) a track which would record all of your settings.

Let me ask you a question - are you transfering midi from another program to Sonar or from Sonar to Sonar?

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:35 pm

Unles you are sending it to someone with the same hardware configuration he would not here it the same as you anyway, it would still default to the GM settings.

The only way round it is to use the Yamaha XG or Roland GS sounds, there is more likelyhood the recipient would be able to use those settings in some way.

If you are sending it to someone with the same hardware you should also save any sysex data from your equipment in the midi file. They can then dump this to there hardware and it should automatically configure itself.

MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:09 pm

thanks for the replies...ill keep working at this and see what happens..thx again for the help