Removing Popped P's

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
RC

Post by RC » Wed May 12, 2004 5:45 pm

I have a song where you can hear the P's being popped into the microphone in a couple of spots. Does anyone know of a way to minimize this problem without having to re-record the whole song?

Thanks in advance.

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed May 12, 2004 11:52 pm

Obviously re-record using a pop shield would be the ideal solution but if not possible you could view the wave form in an audio editor and using the erasor and pencil tools to correct the offending P's. If there are only a few then they should be easy to spot.

Another possibility is to try carefully EQ-ing the vocal track in the 100-200Hz area using a very high Q value.

Or again if not to many instances try the audio editor and look for the wave form of words that end in pe like hope. Then try copying that part of the wave form and pasting it into the part with the popped P. I could see this being a tricky process.

Really the pop shield is a must.

rick_james

Post by rick_james » Fri May 21, 2004 6:42 pm

Alot of wave editing suites(cool edit , soundforge) have a tool pacifically designed for this problem. If it only oocurs a couple of times just zoom right in on the pop in the waveform and press declick or whatever. Not sure exactly what these things do in the ways of eq or volume but i guess there probably more efficient and certainly more user friendly than messing with eq's etc.

Try it out if you have a audio editor associated with sonar in the tools bar.

Of course you'll learn from this mistake and next time you record u can cut up you're girls brand new stockings to and rob one of her wire coat hangers to make urself a click and pop shield.

Good luck with it anyway,

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:09 am

If I'm recording a singer that isn't used to recordin, I usually set up two mics. One for the psychological effect so they can sing into it (muted on the board) and another slightly offcenter. By experimenting with moc technique, you can rid yourself of this prob.