no midi output sound w/ music creator and motu 828

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
jo7

Post by jo7 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:53 pm

I am using a PC, a MOTU 828 soundcard, a Edirol 1-SX MIDI interface, Studiologic TMK-88 MIDI controller (with a MIDI-out port but no MIDI-in port) and Cakewalk Music Creator 2003.

Before I got the Edirol and the 828, everything was working fine for playing MIDI. I was routing it all through my pre-installed soundcard. And so the sound was crappy but at least I could hear it. Now, however, I seem to be completely unable to hear MIDI. Ironically, I can record it just fine. But I can never hear what I've recorded, nor can I hear any of the tutorial files that came with the Music Creator software.

As best as I can tell, the problem is that the program is trying to route the MIDI back out through the Edirol out port which is not connected to anything (I have nothing to connect it to). What I want the program to do is to play the MIDI data through the 828 like a regular soundcard. I can't seem to figure out how to do this.

Any ideas?

jo7

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:30 am

A MOTU 828 doesn't have a MIDI engine in it. I belive it has midi in/out but I would imagine they would be used for connecting a controller of sorts (HUI, etc...).

In order for your midi date to make a sound, it has to pass through some sort of synth (like the one built onto your soundcard)