Controlling tempo with a midi controller.

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
rick_james

Post by rick_james » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:53 pm

Can you control the tempo of your project by assigning a rotary knob on a midi controller.... I really would like to do this or atleast be able to control the pitch of an entire music mix like. Kinda like changing the speed of the tapes with the knob in the corner of the mixing board back in the day.

Any Help would be really great,

Thanks

MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:20 pm

I use a PCR-50 Edirol Keyboard controller and yes I can control the tempo using one of the sliders. By default though, the slider I now use for tempo control was set to something else so I need to change what effect that slider controlled first. Not sure what you are using but I just had to look in my manual and find out how to assign different effects to different sliders and knobs. Look in the manual and see if anything is said about that.

rick_james

Post by rick_james » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:25 pm

oh right , good so there is a way, I'm Getting a BCF2000 controller because my midi keyboard is very basic. hopefully Ill have a control on that which i can assign. Its only just out and i got it because of the low price and motorized faders.

is there any way i can assign the mod wheel or pitch. for now.

I cant see a way to assign the tempo to any control.

Do you know a way to do it or can you explain how you assign it to your controller?

Thanks for your help.

MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:37 pm

Hmm, well I am a beginner in all of this but instead of just explaining how to assign tempo on my controller I'll try looking into that BCF2000 and see how to assign things on that controller if possible. If this doesn't work I'll explain how to do it on my PCR-50. Also, what midi keyboard are you using?

rick_james

Post by rick_james » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:36 pm

Im using a miditech midistart keyboard, and a BCF2000. I know how to assign every other control except the tempo.

Are you guys seriously controlling the tempo with a rotary control? or are you just taking the piss?

I need to know how to assign the tempo to a control...you dont have to go into great detail how you assigned it to your controller ...just put me in the right direction...

Im not sure you can do it at all.... I'm baffled