Metronome / click track

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
Pootle

Post by Pootle » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:27 am

I've just upgraded my PC & soundcard, so I'm now using an Audiophile Delta instead of an SB Live!

The click track on Sonar used to automatically play a GM percussion sound, but now I dont have the SB Live! I have to set up a metronome via session drummer.

However, if I set a count-in of 4 beats, it (obviously) doesn't 'click' on the count-in. So I end up setting a count-in of 0, and am just treating the first bar as the count-in and will delete it when I've finished the track.

Is this the only way to get round it, or am I missing something (I admit I haven't actually looked in the manual yet cos I am lazy)?

Thanks,
Emma

andychap

Post by andychap » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:02 am

Hi Emma,

I would just enter four notes in the piano roll. Set the tempo of the track, set the track to channel 10 and open up the piano roll. Down the left hand side are all the drum sounds on the appropriate key. Just select the click or rim shot and enter them on the sheet or play them with the corresponding key on a controller keyboard (probably have to quantize it). Set the out put of the track to play through the Edirol VSC or another drum synth.

When you do you actual drum track just put it on a seperate track but still channel 10 and then at the end you can just delete the whole track with the click count in.

You can then move all your tracks over or wait until you have you final stereo mix and just remove the silence in cakewalk or a wave editor.

BTW I am really envious of you with the audiophile. I'm still stuck with the SB live :( but I do only use it for midi. I have a USB audio interface for audio. What made you decide on the Audiophile and not the DMX 6Fire? I would have thought the breakout box would have been ideal for guitar work.

Pootle

Post by Pootle » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:43 am

Hi Andychap,

Thanks very much - I'll try this tonight.

I had decided on the DMX6 fire, but was advised that it is more of an all-rounder, and as I want it for purely music making (no game playing to distract me!) the audiophile was possibly better value.

Also, the extra money for the breakout box wasn't necessary, as I already have a mixer (Behringer MX802A) and the PC has the Joe Meek gtr pre-amp (which I also probably won't actually use).

Thanks again for the help re. the metronome,

Emma

andychap

Post by andychap » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:23 pm

Your welcome :D

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:51 pm

Emma, what I do is ignore the metronome altogher. I will open a track on channel 16 and set the instrument to GM Drums and put the number of quarter notes require to fill the measure. Sometimes I do stuff in 5/4 ro 7/4. Then I do a copy and paste. WIth the paste, I put in like 100 copies. This will give me a click track for my initial tune, at least until I get the drums in. Then I delete the track.

Granted, it still dosen't give me a count in, but I have long since not relied on that at all.

Pootle

Post by Pootle » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:36 am

Thanks Brian