no sound

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
stu

Post by stu » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:02 pm

i have installed cake walk today on a pc windows 98se soundblaster live card -i have plugged my gtr into all 3 inputs at the back of the computer-no sound at all track meter is not moving -any suggestions stu,uk 7-00pm 6/9/03

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:17 pm

Programs|Entertainment|Volume Control|Options|Properties|Recording

Make sure Line In has been selected and the Volume is about mid level. You should be able to hear the guitar even without CW running.

stu

Post by stu » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:20 pm

| have tried everything -I can play the example or test 'funky riff' but cannot get a signal from my guitar to the track meter
do the cakewalk guys read this forum as it seems a common complaint fot a programme that is meant to be guitarist friendly ie analogue not digital minded-Stuart

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:45 pm

Stu... tell me about what you have. i.e.

guitar -> preamp -> what kind of PC ->what kind of sound card ->... etc...

MikeN

Post by MikeN » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:13 pm

Stu, I've had very similar problems and have ended up buying a new soundcard to try and sort things out (got an Extigy which seems to help). The guitar won't plug to the mic socket - it needs to be to the line in, and even then I still need to run it through an amp first and use the line out on that. It does work after a fashion but I suspect there is a much simpler way of doing it, especially as the recorded volume seems to be far below that of any of the other tracks.¨

One problem I did have was that I was using stereo leads for a single channel and the input didn't seem to like that. Try selecting just the left or right channel and see if you get anything for them independantly, if nothing at all comes through check whether you have a mono or stereo lead.

Also make sure you have the icon armed so that you can hear the input without recording (can't remember the icon name off the top of my head).

One day I will get all this working !!

Cheers

Mike

stu

Post by stu » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:27 pm

thanks for the suggestions guys, i,ll post a detailed response this evening---my pc was custom built but 4 yrs ago so is now prehistoric!
i'm using a USA telecaster and soundblaster live soundcard ,i have a session jd10 preamp or a rat deucetone i could use. however i thought cakewalk did not require a pre amp. to me that defeats the amp modelling that is somewhere in the programme regards Stuart

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:14 pm

Now at home; I've tried all your suggestions -still no good-if anyone is reading this as a prospective purchaser-- don't!-the programme is a waste of £50-00--complete junk-it's going back to PC World for a refund

My system is win98se, pent 111, 128MB DIMM PC-133 S-DRAM , Soundblaster 1024 live soundcard

Surely good enough to run any programme?

Cakewalk guys need to make this more user friendly for non pc minded guitarists

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:17 pm

I'll be honest with you Stu this is one area that is annoying to a lot of people but once you get it figured out it's a case of duh why didn't I think of that before.

The 1st thing is you will need some sort of preamp before you plug into the souncard. This is because of the difference in the impedance between you guitar and the line in on the soundcard.

Next thing is to try and record some sound through the soundcard and in to the standard windows recorder in your accessories. If you get a recording albeit a quiet one then the problem is with cakewalk if there is still no sound then the problem is with the soundcard.

Try that first and post the results here and then we should be able to help you from there.

BTW the amp modeling is just an effect you can use on your recorded material all you want to do is get a clean signal in first.

What Cakewalk product is it, Guitar Tracks or Home Studio.

stuart

Post by stuart » Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:51 pm

Andy thanks I'll try the deucetone ,the jd10 made no difference.

I don't buy the impedence thing,as there is no reference to this in the instructions and it would be pretty basic, thanks for the suggestions=Stu

stuart

Post by stuart » Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:00 pm

have tried both pre amps full up with a les paul fitted with a duncan jb pick up you can't get much louder! not a squeak from crapwalk!!!!

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:31 pm

thanks to every one who has replied-sorry to cakewalk guys

the problem was in the pc-the guy who built the pc disabled the standard soundcard !!!

the inputs for the new soundcard were wired at the very bottom of the cabinet virtually out of sight

now i'm plugged in everything so far is working.

by the way no pre-amp req'd BUT using the award sessionmaster JD10 does provide a much warmer dry sound

once again thanks to all of you ,apols to cakewalk

Regards Stuart

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:02 pm

Glad the problem is fixed. Now get some tunes up so we can enjoy them. :D

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:25 pm

Nice to hear you are up and running Stu. Any more problems don't be afraid to ask, were all in this game together. :D