Muffled sound

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
moggy

Post by moggy » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:07 pm

Hi, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I have been recording in cakewalk home studio 2002. For some reason, after i have been recording for an hour or so, the sound will suddenly become muffled and a lot quieter. I thought it might had something to do with the mic lead, the mic or the adapter. So.. I bought a new adapter, a new mic lead, and i borrowed a friends shure sm58 mic, which is a quality microphone. Even with the new parts, it still does the same thing.. Does anybody know what i am doing wrong? Any help would be muchly appreciated :) cheers...

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:21 pm

Not sure but it sounds like it could be something to do with your PC. If it is starting to work harder after an hour of recording it might be taking resources away from your soundcard, especially if you have onboard sound.

Recording audio is quite a demanding process on the CPU and it could be overheating. Try adding a quiet fan in the PC case or make sure there is good airflow round the back of the PC, maybe use a fan round the back of the PC.

The sm58 is a good mic but quite sensitive so try and keep the tower as far away from you recording area as possible so you don't pick up the fan noise.

moggy

Post by moggy » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:26 pm

Yeah, thats what i thought, something to do with the computer, but the cpu temp is ok, and it doesn't seem to struggle having other app open in the background. its a p3 1.4 gig and its a creative soundcard, not sure which one, but its not intergrated. Also, i left the computer for a few hours, whilst i was defragging the hard drive to see if that helped, then went back and tried it again and it was still muffled, if it was a heat problem it shoulda had plenty of time to cool down. Lol, everything has gone wrong with me trying to record :P Maybe the music gods dont like me, either way, thnx for your suggestion, and please.. if you or anyone else thinks of anything, let me know!! im dying here :P

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:28 am

Something that has been mentioned in the past with soundcards and heat is if they are too close to the graphics gard then the heat from the graphics card can affect them. It is always recommended to put then in the furthest slot away from the graphics card, usually at the bottom.