recording levels

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
GaryD

Post by GaryD » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:47 pm

first of all,thank you andy....that article was great.

I'm still confused about all the recording levels....first the best level to record at....then mixing while transferring to midi....then mixing during exporting then the right level when buring to CD.

Are midi tracks always recorded at the same level?

thats enough for now

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:05 pm

Always set your recording levels in the console view it's more accurate. Record you midi to audio at the maximum volume with clipping (going into the bright red area). You get more scope to reduce volume than you do to increase it. You can then adjust the levels of the audio track when setting up your final mix.

When you have got to your final stereo mix, use a compressor plugin to quieten the really loud bits and strengthen the really quiet bits. If it needs EQing then EQ it. The last stage is to 'normalise' (edit menu > audio > normalise) the track before you burn to CD.

If you follow the same steps with compression and normalising, all your tracks will then be the same volume on the CD.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:48 pm

sounds good...I'll see if I can put that advice to practical use .....thanks again....more questions coming

GaryD

Post by GaryD » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:34 am

Hey Andy....I just read your response a couple of times again....It makes more sense to me now that I've had another (long) session....half of the battle is getting up with the lingo

thanks again

Gary