drums

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
guitaace1981

Post by guitaace1981 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:41 am

I have a Electric Drum Set (it is built up like a drum set only with pads that when you hit it, sounds like real drums. The downfall of this is that I can only have the entire drum set on one track, and can't split each individual drum and cymbal to its individual track.

Is this possible? If so how does the program seperate each drum and cymbal out?

Thanks.

rangermutt

Post by rangermutt » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:56 pm

I am not real well versed with this software but if your drumset has midi capabilities I would assume you could use that interface to trigger sounds that are built within the Cakewalk software and thus could break them up into different tracks.

Volturnio

Post by Volturnio » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:56 pm

Do you want different MIDI tracks? When you record or playback?

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue May 17, 2005 12:23 am

There are a couple different ways to do it.

I would do it like this:

1- record all of your drums onto one midi track

2- run a cal script to split each midi not to a different track (I belive this is included. I have one I wrote years ago if you need one as well)

3- Label each track (Kick, Snare, etc...)

This would work great for a few reasons:

1- it would let you quantize (if needed) each drum individually)

2- you could use a snare, kick, tom, etc... sound from a bunch of different modules or softsynts (example Alesis D-5 kick, V Sampler Snare, DFH tom, etc...)

3- When you recorded all the parts as audio you could use different eq/comp/rev on each drum. Example - big reverb on kick, dry snare, eq on hats, etc...)

Just one idea. Good Luck!

guitaace1981

Post by guitaace1981 » Wed May 25, 2005 2:37 pm

The thing is I recorded the music to all 16 of my songs already, including the drums. this is how I recorded the drums from my Electric Drum set (Its built up like kit, and sounds just like real drums).

my drum kit module has 2 inputs...one left and one right in which I connect to inputs of track 1 and 2 in my digital 16 track recorder. Track 1 would be for the left side of the drum set and track 2 for the right. Within the drum module, I can control volumes of each drum and cymbal pad, pitch, and pan so that the drums are recorded in stereo (I usuallt have kick in snare smack dab in the middle shared equally between both tracks 1 and 2, HH to the left, Ride to the right, ANd the toms panned from left to right. The crashes are split one left on right. When I record the drums for the songs the drum kit is split to two tracks, one left and one right. Then when I am done recording the song, I back up the data on a CDRW or CDR within my 16 track digital recorder, and I think it gives you the option to save it as a couple of different formats such as WAV. I dont know if I can save the drum tracks as two MIDI files. If I can and I transfer it to Sonar 1.3 on my computer, will the drum sounds be exactely as they were recorded or will they sound different and weird?

If I dont have the option to save it as MIDI file, how can I then seperate each drum and cymbal from your typical audio WAV file?

Sorry for all the questions, Im just new at this and want my recording to sound as good as possible.

Volturnio

Post by Volturnio » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:22 pm

It seems that the sequence on your drum kit can't be exported, you have only audio outputs (analog sound), no midi outputs (control signals). I'm not shure to understand your question, but you can't anyway split an audio track in different instruments or notes or events like midi tracks. There are some wav-to-midi soft, but it's only for one instrument tracks.
One solution could be record in cakewalk instrument by instrument from your drumkit (mutting the others) an then apply wav-to-midi (I don't remember names, but find it googling is easy). A lot of work!
Greeting!
Diego