Cakewalk File Compatibility

Use this forum for all technical issues.
RaftingBear

Post by RaftingBear » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:51 pm

I used Cakewalk Pro Audio 6 for years, then got away from music for awhile. By the time I came back, I had Windows XP and Cakewalk would no longer run.

I've been to the Cakewalk web site, and it appears that there is no longer a product by that name. I'd like to get whatever is its successor, but I haven't been able to figure out what that would be. In particular, I need to be able to open my old Cakewalk files.

If anyone can suggest what I should be buying, I would be very grateful.

andychap

Post by andychap » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:57 am

Hi,

You must have been away for a long time, thier have been many incarnations since then.

The Pro Audio series finished at version 9 and since then has been know as Sonar which is now at version 4. It's a completely different beast to the old pro audio series and you would be surprised at what it can do.

All the Cakewalk products should be able to open your files. During the install procedure theare will be a chance to associate file types with that program, one of those association will be pre sonar 1.3 files.

Cakewalk products are: starting at beginner level

Cakewalk Music Creator (probaly does a lot more than PA9 did) cost approx GBP 30

Cakewalk Home Studio (two versions normal and XL) cost approx GBP 70-100

Cakewalk Sonar 4 Studio Edition cost approx GBP 200
Cakewalk Sonar 4 Producer Edition cost approx GBP 400.

As you can see there is a vast scope in the prices.

Basically Sonar is professional software, Home studio is a cut down version of Sonar and aimed at the Home user and Music Creator is cut down even more but designed for an easier learning curve for the beginner.

There should be demos of all these products on the Cakewalk site, try downloading and trying them starting with the basics and working your way up till you find what you need.

Edit: Don't know where you are based but the prices are in pounds sterling and if you look around you can find some good deals.

Hope that helps.

Andy