Help please. Sonar 4 and SB AUdigy 2 problems...

Use this forum for all technical issues.
Elvisman2001

Post by Elvisman2001 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:21 am

This is extremely aggravating. I was using my old system with a SB LIve with no problems at all. Anyway, I upgraded to a new computer with Windows XP Pro, SB Audigy 2 sound card, Klipsch 5.1 Ultra Speakers, 3.4 ghz Pentium Processor With HT tech.

I attempt to import a wav file into track and that works fine. When I attempt to record a vocal track on track 2 however, it records what was on track one. Now, I have dug through all the posts here for Track bleeding problems and what not.
I understand that I am supposed to have the input channels opposite of each other. However, my selection it gives me for my inputs is wierd.
I have 3 choices: Left SB Audigy 2 Audio
Right SB Audigy 2 Audio
Stereo SB Audigy 2 Audio
Then for outputs, it gives me the choices of:
SB Audigy 2 Audio (DCC0) 1/2
SB Audigy 2 Audio (DCC0) 3/4
SB Audigy 2 Audio (DCC0) 5/6
SB Audigy 2 Audio (DCC0) 7/8

I have tried seemingly every possible combination I can think of. I have made double sure that I have the proper source selected in the SB mixer and that the record level is up. No matter what I do, I record the previous sound from track 1 into track 2. A memeber in our band has cakewalk Pro 9 and we tried that and it does the same dambned thing.
Can someone please help me out with this freaking problem? I never had ANY problems with a sill SB Live and highly inferior computer rig. What the heck gives??
:evil:

ComposerTed

Post by ComposerTed » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:05 pm

Hi Elvisman,

Some thoughts:

(1) Have you muted or archived track one before recording? I would guess you probably have since you didn't have this problem with the SB Live, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

(2) Is your new computer a Dell by any chance? Certain Dell Models have problems with Soundblaster Audigy cards. If you do have a Dell, you might want to check out the Dell support forum at http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/. In my case, there was a fix which supposedly would solve the problem thru a bios update, HOWEVER, as I recall if anything went wrong with the computer due to the bios update, it could not be undone and would not be covered under warranty, so I shrunk from the risk and switched to an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 which solved my problems (which were somewhat different than yours, but it could still be related).

(3) As for your input and output channels, you might try going to Sonar's Audio options and experimenting with the different driver modes as that will sometimes effect the channel options available.

(4) You could visit the Creative labs site and see if they have any newer/better drivers for your model of the Audigy.

Well, there's a few things to try. I hope something helps or triggers additional ideas for things to try. Let us know.

Ted

Elvisman2001

Post by Elvisman2001 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:07 pm

Thanks for the response composerted.
I just managed fixing it.

Turns out, you have to go to the SB AUdigy Mixer console. I made sure I had the Mic selected as the source BUT on the right hand side of the window there is a red record level slider and I noticed it was set to "What You Hear". I turned it down completely. Then I double clicked the small icon at the top of the slider and was able to change that to microphone (As well as Line in, CD, Etc) and adjust it for each one. Now it works fine. So, anyone else that is having Track Bleeding porblems and using an SB Audigy 2 card, this may be why.

It is a Dell, but it came with the SB Audigy 2 card. I usually build all my PC's but I got such a good deal on this system (50% off and brand new) that I couldnt pass it up.

Hope this helps someone else.

ComposerTed

Post by ComposerTed » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:17 am

Congratulations on finding the solution, Elvisman. That's always a good feeling :)

And yes if the SB Audigy card comes with the Dell that's fine. The problem between Audigy and Dell that I refered to only occurs if someone takes and off-the-shelf Audigy and sticks it in certain Dell Models (which is what I had gone thru back in early 2004).

Ted